Disgraced former UEFA president Michel Platini slams 'rubbish' FIFA and CAS judges, claims he will be proven right

Disgraced former UEFA president Michel Platini has labelled the judges who banned him from office as 'rubbish' and claims he will be 'proved right'.

AFP March 30, 2018 16:06:42 IST
Disgraced former UEFA president Michel Platini slams 'rubbish' FIFA and CAS judges, claims he will be proven right

Paris: Disgraced former UEFA president Michel Platini has labelled the judges who banned him from office as "rubbish" and claims he will be "proved right".

Disgraced former UEFA president Michel Platini slams rubbish FIFA and CAS judges claims he will be proven right

File photo of Michel Platini. AP

The former France and Juventus legend had his initial eight-year FIFA ban, for receiving an illegal payment of 2.0 million Swiss francs ($2 million) from former FIFA chief Sepp Blatter, reduced by two years by judges from the European Court of Human Rights in January.

But although it was reduced again by two years to four years following an appeal to the Swiss-based Court of Arbitration for Sport (CAS), the 62-year-old maintains the ruling -- which prevents him from working in football until October 2019 -- remains unfair.

"I can't accept losing when I've done nothing wrong. They've stopped me working in football for four years! Who are these clowns who've stopped me?" said Platini.

"The rubbish judges from FIFA and CAS are not real judges."

Platini's suspension scuppered his plans to succeed Blatter as head of FIFA, which is now run by former UEFA general secretary Gianni Infantino.

Updated Date:

also read

Coppa Italia: Tammy Abraham puts AS Roma in quarters after Lecce scare
Sports

Coppa Italia: Tammy Abraham puts AS Roma in quarters after Lecce scare

England international Abraham put Roma ahead in the 54th minute with a smart turn and low drive which calmed nerves among the smattering of home fans at the Stadio Olimpico

LaLiga: Ousmane Dembele must leave before end of January, says Barcelona director of football
Sports

LaLiga: Ousmane Dembele must leave before end of January, says Barcelona director of football

Dembele has been left out of Xavi Hernandez's squad to face Athletic Bilbao in the Copa del Rey last 16 on Thursday night.

Copa del Rey: Real Betis vs Sevilla abandoned after player hit by object thrown from crowd
Sports

Copa del Rey: Real Betis vs Sevilla abandoned after player hit by object thrown from crowd

After a stoppage of around 45 minutes at the Benito Villamarin, the Spanish federation (RFEF) confirmed the last-16 game had been abandoned, with the score at 1-1.