Davis Cup: Hong Kong pull out of Pakistan tie at Islamabad over security fears
International sporting events are rarely held in Pakistan with foreign teams citing security fears ever since the 9/11 attacks on the United States.
Hong Kong: Hong Kong have withdrawn from their Davis Cup tie against Pakistan in Islamabad next month citing security concerns, the International Tennis Federation (ITF) said Tuesday.
The southern Chinese city had previously challenged a decision by the Davis Cup Committee for Pakistan to host the second-round tie on 7-9 April, but an independent tribunal ruled it should go ahead.
"The ITF regrets and respectfully disagrees with the decision of Hong Kong, China to default its upcoming Davis Cup tie against Pakistan," the ITF said in a statement.
It added that it takes "the security of all players, team personnel, officials and spectators very seriously".
Pakistan now advance to the Asia/Oceania Zone Group II third round, where they will host the winner of the tie between Philippines and Thailand.
Pakistan in February welcomed the return of international tennis after a 12-year hiatus with a group II Davis Cup tie against Iran in Islamabad.
International sporting events are rarely held in Pakistan, which has fought a homegrown Islamist insurgency for years, with foreign teams citing security fears ever since the 9/11 attacks on the United States.
A 2009 militant attack on the Sri Lankan cricket team bus in Lahore effectively sealed Pakistan's fate. Pakistan has played at neutral venues ever since, hosting "home" cricket matches in the United Arab Emirates, and tennis in opponents' countries.
But security has improved in the last two years, signalling hopes for the slow revival of international sport on Pakistani soil.
Centre extends BSF jurisdiction in West Bengal, Punjab, Assam; 'attack on federalism', says Charanjit Channi
The MHA in its notification said the border guarding force has been granted permission to conduct raids and arrests up to an area of 50 km inside from the International Border (IB) along India-Pakistan and India-Bangladesh borders
Medvedev didn't face a break point, and converted three of his seven break chances against the American to wrap things up in 72 minutes.
Sasnovich, a 27-year-old from Belarus ranked 100th in the world, saved nine of the 10 break points she faced to emerge with the 6-0, 6-4 first-round victory and advance to a meeting with Raducanu, the British 18-year-old whose run to the US Open title last month electrified the tennis world.