Davis Cup 2019: Tennis Australia accuse Bernard Tomic of trying to sabotage team, withdraws all support for him

Tennis Australia accused Bernard Tomic of deliberately trying to sabotage the nation's Davis Cup team and withdrew all support for him.

Agence France-Presse February 02, 2019 12:32:56 IST
Davis Cup 2019: Tennis Australia accuse Bernard Tomic of trying to sabotage team, withdraws all support for him
  • Tennis Australia accused Bernard Tomic of deliberately trying to sabotage the nation's Davis Cup team and withdrew all support for him.

  • Tomic launched an extraordinary attack on Hewitt, saying 'no one likes him any more' while claiming he had ruined the national tennis system.

  • Tennis Australia chief Craig Tiley said he was 'deeply disappointed with the ongoing disrespect from Bernard and his father'.

Adelaide: Tennis Australia accused firebrand Bernard Tomic on Saturday of deliberately trying to sabotage the nation's Davis Cup team in a nasty spat with captain Lleyton Hewitt and withdrew all support for him.

Tomic launched an extraordinary attack on two-time Grand Slam champion Hewitt during the Australian Open last month, saying "no one likes him any more" while claiming he had ruined the national tennis system.

Davis Cup 2019 Tennis Australia accuse Bernard Tomic of trying to sabotage team withdraws all support for him

File image of Bernard Tomic . AP

He alleged there were deep divisions in the Australian men's game.

Hewitt responded by washing his hands of the player, alleging he had been blackmailed and physically threatened by the combustible 26-year-old.

Tomic's father John then said he planned legal action against Hewitt over an incident he claimed occurred in 2010 when his son was a Davis Cup debutant.

Tennis Australia chief Craig Tiley said he was "deeply disappointed with the ongoing disrespect from Bernard and his father".

"Lleyton is right to say Bernard will not be considered for Davis Cup. Bernard does not meet the standards of behaviour and commitment to himself, the team or the sport," said Tiley.

"Now, he is deliberately trying to damage that culture — and not for the first time.

"We have given (Tomic) more than a decade of support. Ultimately, we have to draw a line when the behaviour does not warrant the support."

John Tomic claimed the incident in 2010 left his son traumatised.

He alleged Hewitt came to his son's hotel room during an Australian tie against Taiwan in March 2010 and pressured him to reveal who from Tennis Australia was telling him what to say publicly.

Hewitt, who was not playing after hip surgery, had at the time been highly critical of TA during a period of turmoil for the sport's governing body.

Tiley said it was the first he heard about it.

"In regards to John Tomic's recent claim in the media about an alleged incident in 2010, we are not aware of any formal complaint lodged by either John or Bernard," he said.

"Both Bernard and John have enjoyed a lot of support since in many areas of their lives — including a long and sustained period of personal commitment and whole-hearted effort from Lleyton Hewitt as Davis Cup captain."

Tomic, who rose to a career-high 17 at his peak, has not played Davis Cup since 2016 and claims Hewitt "doesn't put the players first".

Australia are currently playing a Davis Cup qualifier against Bosnia and Herzegovina in Adelaide.

Updated Date:

Find latest and upcoming tech gadgets online on Tech2 Gadgets. Get technology news, gadgets reviews & ratings. Popular gadgets including laptop, tablet and mobile specifications, features, prices, comparison.

also read

WTA can weather revenue hit caused by cancelled tournaments but no normalcy until 2022, says CEO Steve Simon
Sports

WTA can weather revenue hit caused by cancelled tournaments but no normalcy until 2022, says CEO Steve Simon

WTA, which has lost a big chunk of tournaments since the forced shutdown in early March, will finally resume after a five-month break with the Palermo Open from 3 August.

Palermo Ladies Open to go ahead as scheduled even after one player tests positive for COVID-19
Sports

Palermo Ladies Open to go ahead as scheduled even after one player tests positive for COVID-19

Palermo Open organisers, who would not name the player, said she was admitted to a national health facility designated for asymptomatic patients with COVID-19.

Venus Williams to join sister Serena at inaugural Top Seed Open in Kentucky
Sports

Venus Williams to join sister Serena at inaugural Top Seed Open in Kentucky

The event’s organisers said last week Serena would return to the court for the first time since the novel coronavirus shutdown when she competes at the tournament, which begins on 10 August