Coronavirus Outbreak: Yearly lockdown would be good for planet, says Stefanos Tsitsipas

The coronavirus pandemic has stalled young Greek Stefanos Tsitsipas’s burgeoning career but he remains philosophical about the current tennis shutdown.

Reuters May 22, 2020 09:11:24 IST
Coronavirus Outbreak: Yearly lockdown would be good for planet, says Stefanos Tsitsipas

The coronavirus pandemic has stalled young Greek Stefanos Tsitsipas’s burgeoning career but he remains philosophical about the current tennis shutdown.

Coronavirus Outbreak Yearly lockdown would be good for planet says Stefanos Tsitsipas

File photo of Stefanos Tsitsipas. AP

The world number six would have been preparing for Roland Garros that was originally scheduled to start this weekend but was postponed to September.

While he is missing life on Tour, Tsitsipas believes the lockdown has given the planet a breath.

“I actually think they should put us in lockdown once a year — it’s good for nature, it’s good for our planet,” Tsitsipas said in an Instagram Live conversation for ‘At Home With Babsi’ on Eurosport’s Instagram page.

“I think it will be environmentally very beneficial. Life is such a hustle, and you never get the time to spend with your family and connect with them.

“Now it’s an opportunity to do so. It takes me back to when I was a young kid and I didn’t travel so much then.”

With professional tennis unlikely to return before early August, at the earliest, Tsitsipas says the hardest thing has been training without an end goal.

“I practise every day, of course I don’t put 100% in but at the same time I’m planning on gradually getting better,” the 21-year-old said.

“It’s a process, it’s tricky — you have so much time in front of you and you don’t know when things are going to get back to normal. Right now, I am taking it easy, I’m not pushing myself to the limit and I’m not resting.

“There is a good contrast in between the two.”

It was at last year’s Roland Garros that Tsitsipas was tipped to make his Grand Slam breakthrough but lost out in an epic battle with former champion Stan Wawrinka in the last 16.

Tsitsipas said that defeat still plays on his mind.

“I felt heartbroken. It was difficult one to get over and I felt I was really close,” he said.

Tsitsipas admired American great Pete Sampras, who also had Greek parentage.

“Pete Sampras was one of my idols. My dad used to watch all of his matches and he was a big fan,” he said.

“I got to meet him at Indian Wells a few years ago which was an astonishing experience. His game style was unique, amazing serve and volley game and he also has a Greek heritage of course.

“He was a great athlete and the guy I believe revolutionised the one-handed backhand.”

Click here to follow LIVE updates on coronavirus outbreak

Updated Date:

Find latest and upcoming tech gadgets online on Tech2 Gadgets. Get technology news, gadgets reviews & ratings. Popular gadgets including laptop, tablet and mobile specifications, features, prices, comparison.

also read

Premier League: Liverpool boss Jurgen Klopp wants Manchester City clash to be played at Etihad
Sports

Premier League: Liverpool boss Jurgen Klopp wants Manchester City clash to be played at Etihad

Liverpool would prefer next week’s away fixture against Manchester City to be held at the Etihad Stadium and not moved to a neutral venue due to the COVID-19 situation, manager Jurgen Klopp has said.

Coronavirus Outbreak: Former India batsman Sandeep Patil urges players to remain mentally strong, injury-free when cricket resumes
First Cricket News

Coronavirus Outbreak: Former India batsman Sandeep Patil urges players to remain mentally strong, injury-free when cricket resumes

Former India batsman Sandeep Patil on Sunday advised players to remain mentally strong and ensure an injury-free return to cricket when the game resumes amid the COVID-19 pandemic.

Coronavirus Outbreak: Cricket South Africa reports seven positive COVID-19 cases in organisation
First Cricket News

Coronavirus Outbreak: Cricket South Africa reports seven positive COVID-19 cases in organisation

Cricket South Africa (CSA) on Monday revealed that seven people have tested positive for the novel coronavirus after mass testing was conducted in the organisation.