Coronavirus Outbreak: West Bengal government calls meeting with 17 sports associations to discuss resumption of sport

The IFA top official also called on Cricket Association of Bengal (CAB) chief Avishek Dalmiya at Eden Gardens on Thursday to discuss on ground sharing and avoid any possible clashes as both football and cricket seasons are likely to run parallel this time.

Press Trust of India June 11, 2020 21:56:30 IST
Coronavirus Outbreak: West Bengal government calls meeting with 17 sports associations to discuss resumption of sport

The West Bengal government has called a meeting on Friday with 17 sports associations of the state, including cricket and football, to discuss plans for the resumption of sporting events after the COVID-19 pandemic subsides.

Coronavirus Outbreak West Bengal government calls meeting with 17 sports associations to discuss resumption of sport

Representational image. AP

Most tournaments in the current season have already been called off because of the nationwide lockdown that was enforced in the last week of March to contain the contagious disease.

Sports associations are now looking for an early start to the next season, prominent among them is the Calcutta Football League Premier Division tournament.

"West Bengal sports minister Aroop Biswas has called a meeting at the state secretariat tomorrow afternoon to discuss the way forward. We are hopeful for an October start to the Calcutta League," Indian Football Association secretary Joydeep Mukherjee told PTI.

The IFA top official also called on Cricket Association of Bengal (CAB) chief Avishek Dalmiya at Eden Gardens on Thursday to discuss on ground sharing and avoid any possible clashes as both football and cricket seasons are likely to run parallel this time.

The Maidan grounds, which are leased from the Ministry of Defence, are used for football, cricket and hockey for four months' each in a year which was not possible this season because of the COVID-19 lockdown.

"We started off a cordial discussion so that there's no clash and misunderstanding as it seems the season is set for an October start this time. We have to work hand-in-hand and look to share the open grounds."

The CAB has already started ground preparation looking at an early start to the next season.

"We do not know when we can resume cricket considering the prevailing circumstances. However, we are already procuring pitch soil to ensure that we can start the next season early, if the situation so allows. We would not want to waste any time unnecessarily.

"We had a positive meeting with Indian Football Association too. We may actually start the pitch preparation earlier than when it is usually done every year," Avishek said in a CAB statement.

In the aftermath of Cyclone Amphan that ravaged the state on May 20, the CAB has also begun testing its floodlights, electronic scoreboard and turnstiles among others.

"With this season as good as over we have started preparations for next season. We have no certainty when we will be able to begin next season. We are preparing beforehand so that the season can begin early," CAB secretary Snehashis Ganguly said.

The CAB has also formed guidelines for resumption of its office, based on suggestions provided by its medical committee headed by top doctors of the city.

The CAB has formed a monitoring group which would be headed by vice-president Naresh Ojha.

Click here for LIVE updates on the coronavirus outbreak

Updated Date:

Find latest and upcoming tech gadgets online on Tech2 Gadgets. Get technology news, gadgets reviews & ratings. Popular gadgets including laptop, tablet and mobile specifications, features, prices, comparison.

also read

Biological patterns underlying some of the most severe COVID-19 cases revealed by scientists
science

Biological patterns underlying some of the most severe COVID-19 cases revealed by scientists

Treating severe COVID-19 might require an immunological reset, with drugs that could, in theory, restore the balance in the body.

Rafael Nadal still preparing to play at Roland Garros next month despite withdrawal from US Open
Sports

Rafael Nadal still preparing to play at Roland Garros next month despite withdrawal from US Open

Nadal, who would be going for a record-extending 13th title at Roland Garros, was asked if he thinks the tournament will go ahead. "I trust it will yes, it is in my mind and I am preparing for it," he said,

Coronavirus Updates: Bihar aims to conduct over 1 lakh COVID-19 tests daily after PM says state lags behind in testing
India

Coronavirus Updates: Bihar aims to conduct over 1 lakh COVID-19 tests daily after PM says state lags behind in testing

Coronavirus LIVE Updates: Bihar chief minister Nitish Kumar Tuesday told Prime Minister Narendra Modi that the state plans to raise testing rate for COVID-19 to over one lakh per day.