Coronavirus Outbreak: Viswanathan Anand to finally return home after being stuck in Germany for over three months
Former world chess champion Viswanathan Anand will be finally reaching India late on Saturday after being stuck in Germany for over three months due to the travel restrictions imposed in wake of the COVID-19 pandemic.
Chennai: Former world chess champion Viswanathan Anand will be finally reaching India late on Saturday after being stuck in Germany for over three months due to the travel restrictions imposed in wake of the COVID-19 pandemic.
"Yes. Anand will be returning today," the chess maestro's wife Aruna told PTI on Saturday morning.
Anand, who boarded an Air India flight (AI-120) from Frankfurt on Friday night will reach Bengaluru via Delhi. He is expected to reach Bengaluru at 1.15 pm.
The five-time world champion will undergo a 14-day quarantine period as per rules laid down by the Karnataka government. "He will complete quarantine procedures and come to Chennai as per protocol," Aruna Anand said.
The flights from Germany are only scheduled to land only in Delhi and Bengaluru.
The chess ace was in Germany to play in the Bundesliga chess league and was to return to India, but was forced to stay put after the COVID-19 outbreak disrupted sporting schedules across the globe, apart from restricting movement.
He was staying near Frankfurt and was doing online commentary for the Candidates tournament which was called off mid-way due to the pandemic and led the Indian team in the Online Nations Cup early this month.
Anand had been in touch with his family in Chennai on a regular basis via video calls and kept himself busy with chess-related work.
Find latest and upcoming tech gadgets online on Tech2 Gadgets. Get technology news, gadgets reviews & ratings. Popular gadgets including laptop, tablet and mobile specifications, features, prices, comparison.
The board is targeting a 22 December start to what would be a season of 70 to 72 games, with the NBA Finals ending in June again as has been in the case for many years, according to a person with knowledge of the situation.
Dustin Johnson still 'low on energy', pulls out of second straight golf tournament after testing COVID-19 positive
Dustin Johnson, 36, is recovering after experiencing some Covid-19 symptoms but is still not well enough to resume playing competitive golf, his agent David Winkle said.
The Tour and event organisers said they have been working with Texas health officials to come up with a plan to allow 2,000 fans a day to Memorial Park Golf Course.