Coronavirus Outbreak: UFC withdraws bout after middleweight Jacare Souza and two of his cornermen test positive for COVID-19

UFC has withdrawn a bout from Saturday’s card in Jacksonville after middleweight Jacare Souza and two of his cornermen tested positive for the coronavirus, the mixed martial arts promotion said.

Reuters May 09, 2020 13:38:58 IST
Coronavirus Outbreak: UFC withdraws bout after middleweight Jacare Souza and two of his cornermen test positive for COVID-19

UFC has withdrawn a bout from Saturday’s card in Jacksonville after middleweight Jacare Souza and two of his cornermen tested positive for the coronavirus, the mixed martial arts promotion said.

Coronavirus Outbreak UFC withdraws bout after middleweight Jacare Souza and two of his cornermen test positive for COVID19

File image of Jacare Souza. Image Credit: Twitter/@ufc

Brazilian-born Souza was supposed to fight American Uriah Hall at UFC 249, which was originally scheduled for 18 April in New York but postponed because of the coronavirus outbreak.

“UFC’s medical team examined Souza and his two cornermen and found them to be currently asymptomatic, or not exhibiting the common symptoms of COVID-19,” UFC said in a statement.

“All three men have left the host hotel and will be self-isolating off premises, where UFC’s medical team will monitor their conditions remotely and will provide assistance with any necessary treatment.”

UFC 249 will be broadcast on pay-per-view TV but no fans will be in attendance at VyStar Veterans Memorial Arena because of the COVID-19 pandemic.

Fighters taking part in Saturday’s event were tested for the coronavirus on arrival in Florida, and many of the 24 fighters have been isolating in their rooms as they prepared for their bouts.

“There have been no other positive COVID-19 tests reported from the remaining athletes participating in UFC 249,” the UFC statement added.

“Saturday’s UFC 249 card ... will proceed as scheduled with 11 bouts.”

An interim lightweight title fight between Tony Ferguson and Justin Gaethje tops the bill.

Click here to follow LIVE updates on coronavirus outbreak

Updated Date:

also read

China to fully resume travel with Hong Kong, Macau from 6 February
World

China to fully resume travel with Hong Kong, Macau from 6 February

Even after China reopened its borders to the world on 8 January, a quota system and COVID testing requirement remained for travellers between the mainland and Hong Kong

Beijing has hit ‘temporary herd immunity’, says Chinese health official
World

Beijing has hit ‘temporary herd immunity’, says Chinese health official

A torrent of cases cascaded through China since the Communist Party abruptly ended its zero-Covid policy last month. But there have been signs that the surge has started to tail off, with authorities saying last week that the number of daily Covid-19 deaths had fallen by nearly 80 percent in January

North Korea lifts stringent epidemic lockdown in capital Pyongyang, says Russian embassy
World

North Korea lifts stringent epidemic lockdown in capital Pyongyang, says Russian embassy

North Korea has not officially acknowledged a lockdown in Pyongyang or a re-emergence of COVID-19 after leader Kim Jong Un declared a widely disputed victory over the coronavirus in August