Coronavirus outbreak: Super Rugby to be put on hold after weekend matches due to fears over COVID-19 threat

SANZAAR, who run the Southern Hemisphere club competition, said on Saturday it “has no option but to suspend the 2020 Super Rugby tournament” for the foreseeable future after the ACT Brumbies host the New South Wales Waratahs on Sunday.

Reuters March 15, 2020 13:30:51 IST
Coronavirus outbreak: Super Rugby to be put on hold after weekend matches due to fears over COVID-19 threat

Cape Town: Super Rugby will be put on hold after this weekend’s matches in the wake of New Zealand announcing that travellers entering the country must self-isolate for 14 days due to fears over the coronavirus outbreak.

SANZAAR, who run the Southern Hemisphere club competition, said on Saturday it “has no option but to suspend the 2020 Super Rugby tournament” for the foreseeable future after the ACT Brumbies host the New South Wales Waratahs on Sunday.

 <span class=Coronavirus outbreak Super Rugby to be put on hold after weekend matches due to fears over COVID19 threat" width="380" height="285" />

Representational image. Getty Images

In a statement that followed the decree from the New Zealand government, SANZAAR said it would not be feasible to carry on with the competition, with five teams from the country participating.

The penultimate match of round seven between the Jaguares and Otago Highlanders in Buenos Aires on Saturday was later cancelled to allow the visiting players to return home to New Zealand.

Chief executive Andy Marinos said SANZAAR had not taken the decision lightly.

“After consulting widely with key stakeholders, the SANZAAR Executive Committee has taken the necessary step to cancel the scheduled fixture with the players’ and team management health and welfare paramount,” he said in a statement.

“As stated previously, while disappointed to be in this position our priority is to ensure the players currently overseas return home healthy and safely to be with their families.”

The suspension will leave the trans-continental provincial competition, involving teams from Argentina, Australia, Japan, New Zealand and South Africa, in limbo after only seven of 18 rounds following this weekend.

“We are extremely disappointed for the players, our fans, broadcasters and partners but given the complexity of our competition structure... we have no other option,” Marinos added.

“SANZAAR will also remain engaged with its stakeholders and will continue to explore avenues to see if we can keep the rugby product alive within our core markets, with the possibility to be in a position to resume the tournament, if at all possible, in future weeks.”

The statement said organisers hoped to devise a plan for the remaining fixtures that would be communicated in the coming days.

Follow LIVE updates on coronavirus outbreak here

Updated Date:

also read

One-third of COVID-19 vaccination sites in Delhi govt hospitals to run round-the-clock
India

One-third of COVID-19 vaccination sites in Delhi govt hospitals to run round-the-clock

The govt directed hospitals to increase beds reserved for COVID-19 patients as the city recorded over 3,500 new cases

In Peru, govt-approved clandestine burials of COVID-19 victims rouse ire
long reads

In Peru, govt-approved clandestine burials of COVID-19 victims rouse ire

Local authorities approved the burials but never told the families, who believed their loved ones were in a local cemetery — and only months later discovered the truth.

Air India sale: Centre begins process of inviting financial bids; deal likely to conclude by September
Business

Air India sale: Centre begins process of inviting financial bids; deal likely to conclude by September

Last month, civil aviation minister Hardeep Singh Puri said there is no choice but to either "privatise or close" the airline which has a debt of 60,074 crore