Coronavirus Outbreak: Serie A remains on hold as Italian government examines medical guidelines before announcing resumption

Serie A teams have been allowed to start practice this week but only with players training individually and respecting social distancing. Full team practice is due to begin on 18 May, but only if the medical protocol is approved.

Reuters May 08, 2020 13:14:31 IST
Coronavirus Outbreak: Serie A remains on hold as Italian government examines medical guidelines before announcing resumption

Rome: Attempts to restart Italy’s Serie A remained on hold on Thursday after the government said it was still examining the football federation’s (FIGC) medical guidelines which are seen as the stumbling block to a resumption of the season.

Serie A teams have been allowed to start practice this week but only with players training individually and respecting social distancing. Full team practice is due to begin on 18 May, but only if the medical protocol is approved.

Coronavirus Outbreak Serie A remains on hold as Italian government examines medical guidelines before announcing resumption

File image of Serie A club's Parma players during a training session. AP

On Thursday, there was a meeting between the government’s technical-scientific committee and the FIGC but Minister of Sport Vincenzo Spadafora said it did not reach an agreement.

Instead, he added, the guidelines would be sent to the Ministry of Health for a further review.

“I know that it was a very thorough meeting, with many requests from doctors and now the technical-scientific committee will draft an assessment that will be sent to the Ministry of Health,” he said.

“I hope that the problems have been solved and that, on the 18th, they (clubs) can resume team training, not only of football but also of all the other sports disciplines.”

Italian media, including Gazzetta dello Sport, said the two main issues were how to do enough testing without taking away resources from the general population and how to deal with a player testing positive.

In the latter case, some experts want the whole team to be quarantined while others believe isolating the affected player, and then re-testing the rest of the squad, would be sufficient.

Earlier on Thursday, Fiorentina said three players and three back-up staff had given positive results in blanket testing of the squad ahead of training. On Wednesday, Torino said one player had tested positive.

In both cases, the affected individuals were isolated from the rest of the squad.

Updated Date:

also read

Coppa Italia: Juventus beat Lazio to set up semi-final against Inter Milan
Football

Coppa Italia: Juventus beat Lazio to set up semi-final against Inter Milan

Gleison Bremer's second goal of the season won a tight contest in Turin and set up a two-legged semi-final against Juve's biggest rivals Inter.

FIFA bans four Uruguay players over Qatar World Cup incidents
Football

FIFA bans four Uruguay players over Qatar World Cup incidents

The Uruguayan football federation has also been fined 50,000 Swiss francs ($54,248) and handed a partial stadium closure for their next home match over the "discriminatory behaviour of its supporters" and the "misconduct" of the players.

Bundesliga: Dominik Szoboszlai double helps RB Leipzig close gap on Bayern Munich
Football

Bundesliga: Dominik Szoboszlai double helps RB Leipzig close gap on Bayern Munich

RB Leipzig climbed to second in the table after extending their unbeaten run to 16 matches in all competitions.