Coronavirus Outbreak: Rory McIlroy to play first three PGA Tour events when season resumes in June

The Tour’s schedule restarts with the Charles Schwab Challenge (11-14 June in Fort Worth, Texas) followed by the RBC Heritage (18-21 June in Hilton Head, South Carolina) and the Travelers Championship (25-28 June in Cromwell, Connecticut).

Reuters May 14, 2020 15:11:38 IST
Coronavirus Outbreak: Rory McIlroy to play first three PGA Tour events when season resumes in June

World number one Rory McIlroy says he is planning to play in the PGA Tour’s first three tournaments when the season resumes next month after the COVID-19 disruption.

Coronavirus Outbreak Rory McIlroy to play first three PGA Tour events when season resumes in June

File image of Rory McIlroy. Reuters

The golf calendar has been severely impacted by the novel coronavirus outbreak, which has killed over 291,000 people around the world, with three of the sport’s four majors rescheduled and the British Open cancelled.

The Tour’s schedule restarts with the Charles Schwab Challenge (11-14 June in Fort Worth, Texas) followed by the RBC Heritage (18-21 June in Hilton Head, South Carolina) and the Travelers Championship (25-28 June in Cromwell, Connecticut).

“Right now, I’m planning to play the first three events,” McIlroy, who is also set to play in a $3 million charity skins match on 17 May, told reporters.

“I miss the competition. I miss the buzz of getting into contention and playing in those last few groups on a Sunday and really feeling that.

“I also miss the locker room. I miss people. I miss being around people. I miss the ... banter that goes on... and the camaraderie that people don’t see.”

Four-times major winner McIlroy said he was confident that play could resume safely next month.

“Obviously we’re going to have to take as many precautions as possible to be able to put tour events on again,” he said.

“But the PGA Tour has got a robust plan in place, and if they can execute it the right way, I see no reason why we can’t start on June 11.”

Click here to follow LIVE updates on coronavirus outbreak

Updated Date:

also read

WHO seeks deeper cooperation from China on origins of COVID-19
World

WHO seeks deeper cooperation from China on origins of COVID-19

The phone call between WHO head Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus and Minister Ma Xiaowei came on the same day as China announced that nearly 60,000 COVID-19 deaths were reported since the country lifted its strict 'Zero Covid Policy' on 7 December

Year of COVID-19? Will the Lunar New Year trigger another spike in China?
World

Year of COVID-19? Will the Lunar New Year trigger another spike in China?

It is expected that the Lunar New Year holiday travel rush – known as Chunyun – can drive a new wave of infections in China, especially in its vulnerable countryside. Last week, Xi Jinping also acknowledged concerns about a COVID-19 spike in rural China

Japan to lower COVID-19 to flu status, further easing rules
World

Japan to lower COVID-19 to flu status, further easing rules

The planned change would mark a major turning point in Japan’s COVID-19 policy toward normalizing social and economic activities