Coronavirus Outbreak: Juventus star Paulo Dybala tests positive for COVID-19, still 'asymptomatic'
Dybala the third player at the club, one of the biggest in Europe and Italy’s most successful in domestic terms, to test positive after midfielder Blaise Matuidi, a World Cup winner with France in 2018, and defender Daniele Rugani.
Juventus and Argentina's forward Paulo Dybala has tested positive for coronavirus but has no symptoms, the Italian Serie A club said on Saturday, making him one of the most high-profile players to be infected so far.
“The player, in voluntary home isolation since 11 March, will continue to be monitored,” the Turin club said in a statement. “He is well and asymptomatic.”
He is the third player at the club, one of the biggest in Europe and Italy’s most successful in domestic terms, to test positive after midfielder Blaise Matuidi, a World Cup winner with France in 2018, and defender Daniele Rugani.
Italy is Europe’s worst-affected country by the coronavirus and the death toll has leapt by 793 to 4,825, officials said on Saturday.
Around a dozen Serie A players have been reported as testing positive with Sampdoria and Fiorentina the other clubs affected.
The 26-year-old, nicknamed ‘the Jewel’, joined Juventus from Palermo in 2015 and has won a Serie A title in each of his seasons at the club. He has played 29 times for Argentina.
Dybala said on Instagram that his fiance had also tested positive. “Luckily, we are in perfect condition,” he said.
Premier League: COVID-19 fall-out may prevent Manchester City replacing Sergio Aguero, says Pep Guardiola
"There is a big chance, with the situation in the world, the economic problems in world football, we are not going to sign any striker for next season," said Man City boss Pep Guardiola at Friday's press conference.
As per official data, a total of 244 boys and 228 girls have been infected from 1 to 26 March
Florenzi and Verratti were both part of the Italian squad on the recent international break.