Coronavirus Outbreak: Italian health official contradicts country’s football chief, says Serie A unlikely to resume in May
A leading Italian health official says he does not see how Serie A, which has been suspended due to the COVID-19 pandemic, could resume in the next few weeks.
Rome: A leading Italian health official says he does not see how Serie A, which has been suspended due to the COVID-19 pandemic, could resume in the next few weeks.
Italy football federation (FIGC) head Gabriele Gravina said on Saturday he hoped teams could begin training in May — provided players tested negative for the new coronavirus — with the first games possibly coming at the end of that month.
However, Giovanni Rezza, director of infectious diseases at the Italian National Institute of Health (ISS), disagreed.
“If I had to give a technical report, it would not be favourable,” he told reporters.
“Football is a contact sport with a risk of transmission.
“They have proposed a close monitoring of the players with almost daily tests, although, honestly, to me that seems to be stretching things a little. And we are almost into May already.”
However, at the end of the day it was not his call, he said.
“It will be the politicians who decide,” added Rezza. “It’s a difficult decision to take because of the health implications.”
Serie A has been on hold since 9 March, with players at several clubs testing positive for COVID-19, which has killed more than 113,000 people globally.
The FIGC said last week it had begun drawing up medical guidelines for a re-start of the championship. Its medical council is due to meet again on Wednesday.
The tragedy on Saturday night in the city of Malang, which also left 180 injured, was one of the world's deadliest sporting stadium disasters.
More than two years after being put in place amid the coronavirus pandemic, the fare caps were removed with effect from 31 August
Inter Milan have lost four times in nine games across Serie A and Europe with question marks over manager Simone Inzaghi's future