Coronavirus Outbreak: IndyCar to commence season behind closed doors from 6 June in Texas with strict guidelines for racers

IndyCar will open its delayed season on 6 June in Texas without fans in attendance and with strict guidelines to protect the participants amid the COVID-19 pandemic, it said on Thursday.

Reuters May 08, 2020 12:24:56 IST
Coronavirus Outbreak: IndyCar to commence season behind closed doors from 6 June in Texas with strict guidelines for racers

IndyCar will open its delayed season on 6 June in Texas without fans in attendance and with strict guidelines to protect the participants amid the COVID-19 pandemic, it said on Thursday.

Coronavirus Outbreak IndyCar to commence season behind closed doors from 6 June in Texas with strict guidelines for racers

Representational image. AP

IndyCar, which postponed racing in mid-March over concerns about the novel coronavirus, said the Genesys 300 at Texas Motor Speedway (TMS) will now be a one-day event that includes practice, qualifying and the race.

IndyCar President Jay Frye said the sanctioning body worked closely with TMS and health officials on a plan to “ensure the safety of our event participants alongside an exciting return to competition for our drivers, teams and viewers tuning in from around the world.”

IndyCar said there will be strict access guidelines limiting the number of personnel on site, as well as a health screening system administered to all participants and personal protection equipment provided to everyone entering the facility.

“America needs live sports and they are not going to believe what they see when the Genesys 300 storms into their living rooms on TV from Texas,” said Eddie Gossage, president and general manager of TMS.

IndyCar, which earlier this year postponed the Indianapolis 500 to 23 August from 24 May, also said the remainder of the updated, 15-race IndyCar calendar for 2020, announced on 6 April, remains on schedule for competition.

Earlier this week, NASCAR said its season would resume without fans on 17 May.

Updated Date:

also read

WHO seeks deeper cooperation from China on origins of COVID-19
World

WHO seeks deeper cooperation from China on origins of COVID-19

The phone call between WHO head Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus and Minister Ma Xiaowei came on the same day as China announced that nearly 60,000 COVID-19 deaths were reported since the country lifted its strict 'Zero Covid Policy' on 7 December

Year of COVID-19? Will the Lunar New Year trigger another spike in China?
World

Year of COVID-19? Will the Lunar New Year trigger another spike in China?

It is expected that the Lunar New Year holiday travel rush – known as Chunyun – can drive a new wave of infections in China, especially in its vulnerable countryside. Last week, Xi Jinping also acknowledged concerns about a COVID-19 spike in rural China

Japan to lower COVID-19 to flu status, further easing rules
World

Japan to lower COVID-19 to flu status, further easing rules

The planned change would mark a major turning point in Japan’s COVID-19 policy toward normalizing social and economic activities