Coronavirus Outbreak: Formula 1 team Renault furlough majority of staff until end of May, management to take pay cuts

Renault said the engine factory at Viry-Chatillon in France had moved to a part-time schedule from 6 April for a provisional 12 weeks

Reuters April 11, 2020 00:03:52 IST
Coronavirus Outbreak: Formula 1 team Renault furlough majority of staff until end of May, management to take pay cuts

London: Renault have furloughed most of their British-based Formula One race team until the end of May due to the COVID-19 pandemic, with management also taking a pay cut, the French carmaker announced on Friday.

Coronavirus Outbreak Formula 1 team Renault furlough majority of staff until end of May management to take pay cuts

Representational image. Reuters.

Renault said the engine factory at Viry-Chatillon in France had moved to a part-time schedule from 6 April for a provisional 12 weeks.

“Renault Sport Racing has decided to retrospectively apply for the Job Retention Scheme set up by the British government,” it said in a statement.

“The vast majority of Enstone staff will effectively have a total shutdown (furlough) until 31 May. This will be reviewed dependent on the development of the situation.”

Renault, whose F1 drivers are Australian Daniel Ricciardo and Frenchman Esteban Ocon, said it would top up the amount allocated by the government to guarantee a minimum of 80% of actual salary for all team members.

“Salaries of active staff, including management, will be reduced in the same proportions,” it added.

Three other British-based teams — McLaren, Williams and Racing Point — have already announced they are furloughing staff with drivers also taking pay cuts.

Renault are the first manufacturer-owned team to do so, however.

Team boss Cyril Abiteboul said it was hard to measure the eventual impact of the crisis on the sport, with France and England in lockdown along with most Grand Prix organising countries.

“We, therefore, must use all the measures at our disposal to get through this prolonged period of uncertainty and inactivity as best as we can, while protecting the whole team we have built over the past four years,” he said.

The carmaker cancelled its dividend on Thursday and said its chairman and interim chief executive officer had agreed to pay cuts, to help finance a solidarity fund for staff affected by the coronavirus crisis.

Click here to follow LIVE updates on coronavirus outbreak

Updated Date:

also read

Sebastian Vettel to retire from Formula 1 at the end of 2022 season
Sports

Sebastian Vettel to retire from Formula 1 at the end of 2022 season

The German racer joined Aston Martin last year after five successful years at Ferrari, finishing at the 12th spot at the end of the 2021 season, and is at the 14th spot in the driver's standings in the ongoing season.

Sebastian Vettel retires: Racing legend’s departure loss to F1, bittersweet moment for fans
Sports

Sebastian Vettel retires: Racing legend’s departure loss to F1, bittersweet moment for fans

It is always sad to see a legend leave the sport — and Vettel's signature one figure victory salute and trademark victory donuts have been unforgettable. That said, it is also painful to watch a star struggle and slowly fade away

7.58 crore people got precaution dose of Covid vaccine as on 26 July: Government to Lok Sabha
Health

7.58 crore people got precaution dose of Covid vaccine as on 26 July: Government to Lok Sabha

Precaution dose is available for all eligible beneficiaries above 18 years, after six months from the date of administration of the second dose