Coronavirus outbreak: Formula 1, FIA and promoters to meet to find Chinese Grand Prix solution after postponement

The 19 April race in Shanghai has been put on hold, F1 managing director Ross Brawn said the inaugural Vietnam Grand Prix set for 5 April in Hanoi is going ahead as planned

Reuters February 13, 2020 10:28:10 IST
Coronavirus outbreak: Formula 1, FIA and promoters to meet to find Chinese Grand Prix solution after postponement
  • A host of international sporting events have been cancelled due to coronavirus, including the all-electric Formula E motor racing series

  • Even if China can get control of the epidemic, finding a window in a packed calendar to get the Chinese Grand Formula One Prix back onto the schedule is problematic

  • The flu-like virus has killed more than 1,100 people and infected more than 44,000 in China after it first emerged in the central city of Wuhan late last year

Toronto: Formula One, the FIA and promoters will meet this week in an effort to salvage this year’s Chinese Grand Prix, F1 managing director Ross Brawn said on Wednesday after the race was postponed due to the coronavirus outbreak.

Although the 19 April race in Shanghai has been put on hold, Brawn told Reuters that the inaugural Vietnam Grand Prix set for 5 April in Hanoi is going ahead as planned.

Coronavirus outbreak Formula 1 FIA and promoters to meet to find Chinese Grand Prix solution after postponement

Formula One's governing body on Wednesday postponed the Chinese Grand Prix scheduled for April due to coronavirus. AP

“We are talking with the FIA, we are talking with the promoters and we’ve got some meetings this week to see if we can find a solution,” Brawn told Reuters on the sidelines of the Canadian Motorsport Hall of Fame inductions. “We are going to try to fit it in but it will be very tough.

“As for Vietnam all the feedback we are getting is rather like the UK, there have been some cases but not a level that would concern us.

“The advice we are getting is that it can go ahead there.”

Brawn did not say when or where the meeting would take place.

A host of international sporting events have been cancelled due to coronavirus, including the all-electric Formula E motor racing series that abandoned plans for a race in the Chinese city of Sanya next month.

The flu-like virus has killed more than 1,100 people and infected more than 44,000 in China after it first emerged in the central city of Wuhan late last year.

Even if China can get control of the epidemic, finding a window in a packed calendar to get the Chinese Grand Formula One Prix back onto the schedule is problematic.

“It might need another race to move and that’s a major consideration and a major concern,” Brawn said. “It would be pretty stressful for the teams to fit it in but I don’t think any of us want to lose the Chinese Grand Prix.

“We are making our best efforts but there is no guarantee.”

As the epidemic worsened Brawn said Formula One had simply run out of time to make a decision on the race and with equipment about to be loaded onto boats was left with no choice but to pull the plug.

“Because of the logistics of Formula One a lot of the sea freight was getting ready to set sail and once it is gone we can’t get it back so it was really reaching a crucial point where we had make a decision,” Brawn said.

“The organising authority in China and the promoters advised they really didn’t see the situation being resolved by the time the race was held so we’ve agreed to a postponement.”

Updated Date:

also read

Formula 1: Oscar Piastri denies he will drive for Alpine next season
Sports

Formula 1: Oscar Piastri denies he will drive for Alpine next season

Aston Martin on Monday signed the 41-year-old Fernando Alonso, a two-time world champion, to replace Sebastian Vettel.

Formula 1: George Russell takes first career pole at Hungarian Grand Prix
Sports

Formula 1: George Russell takes first career pole at Hungarian Grand Prix

George Russell of Mercedes claimed his first pole position when topping the times in qualifying for the Hungarian Grand Prix

Four-time F1 champion Sebastian Vettel to retire at end of 2022 season; check some of his best career moments
Sports

Four-time F1 champion Sebastian Vettel to retire at end of 2022 season; check some of his best career moments

He enjoyed the best part of his career with Red Bull, becoming the youngest F1 title champion in 2010. He also won 13 races in a single season, the most by any individual.