Coronavirus Outbreak: Elche players call off protest, return to training after club reinstates full-time work contracts

Elche CEO Patricia Rodríguez told Spanish news agency EFE Thursday that after negotiating with the squad, the club had agreed to end the work furlough it had been on for two months since the coronavirus pandemic put all league activity on hold.

The Associated Press May 14, 2020 22:19:03 IST
Coronavirus Outbreak: Elche players call off protest, return to training after club reinstates full-time work contracts

Spanish second-division club Elche says its players have agreed to return to training after it reinstated their full-time work contracts.

 <span class=Coronavirus Outbreak Elche players call off protest return to training after club reinstates fulltime work contracts" width="380" height="285" />

Representational image. Reuters

Club CEO Patricia Rodríguez told Spanish news agency EFE Thursday that after negotiating with the squad, the club had agreed to end the work furlough it had been on for two months since the coronavirus pandemic put all league activity on hold.

The players did not return to practice on Wednesday as a protest against salary reductions of 70% imposed under the furlough. Many Spanish clubs have put their players on furlough.

Spanish clubs have returned to training individually at club facilities as they wait for the league to resume play, possibly this summer.

Click here to follow LIVE updates on coronavirus outbreak

Updated Date:

also read

EFL Championship: Bottom-placed Nottingham Forest sack manager Chris Hughton following dismal start
Sports

EFL Championship: Bottom-placed Nottingham Forest sack manager Chris Hughton following dismal start

Forest are bottom of the second tier and Wednesday's home defeat by Middlesbrough left them without a win from any of their first seven league matches.

Serie A: Walter Mazzarri replaces Leonardo Semplici as Cagliari head coach
Sports

Serie A: Walter Mazzarri replaces Leonardo Semplici as Cagliari head coach

Semplici was dismissed after Cagliari lost 3-2 at home to Genoa on Sunday, leaving them 17th in Italy's top-flight with just a point from their three opening league matches.

Pele leaves ICU after suspected colon tumor removed
Sports

Pele leaves ICU after suspected colon tumor removed

The suspected tumor was detected during routine tests, according to the hospital, where Pele has been undergoing treatment since 31 August.