Coronavirus Outbreak: BAI urges players, officials to keep ‘positive frame of mind’, stay at home as India goes into lockdown
BAI has urged its players and officials to 'keep a positive frame of mind' and 'stay home' to contribute in the fight against the dreaded COVID-19 pandemic, which has resulted in a nationwide lockdown.
New Delhi: The Badminton Association of India (BAI) has urged its players and officials to "keep a positive frame of mind" and "stay home" to contribute in the fight against the dreaded COVID-19 pandemic, which has resulted in a nationwide lockdown.
The coronavirus outbreak has claimed 16,000 lives worldwide, while infecting close to 4,00,000. India has reported nine deaths and nearly 500 positive cases so far.
"As the world combats COVID-19 and its unprecedented fallouts, confinement and quarantine are the only ways to pull a plug on the spread," BAI secretary Ajay Singhania said in a release.
"We, at Badminton Association of India, are deeply concerned with the well being of all players, technical officials and the innumerable badminton fans out there. For your own safety and your loved ones, as well as the community at large, we urge you to stay at home.
The Badminton World Federation has suspended all tournaments till 12 April due to the pandemic, which has brought the whole world to a standstill with countries shutting down borders and going into lockdown mode.
In India, 32 states and union territories have been put in lockdown. Two states — Punjab and Maharashtra — and a UT — Puducherry — have declared curfews.
"While the entire country is on a lockdown mode and flight services, interstate trains and buses have been asked to shut down too and states are now enforcing curfew, as responsible citizens, we should follow it too," Singhania said.
"Keep a positive frame of mind. We are all in this together. Stay at home. Stay safe," he added.
Premier League: COVID-19 fall-out may prevent Manchester City replacing Sergio Aguero, says Pep Guardiola
"There is a big chance, with the situation in the world, the economic problems in world football, we are not going to sign any striker for next season," said Man City boss Pep Guardiola at Friday's press conference.
Florenzi and Verratti were both part of the Italian squad on the recent international break.
Harmanpreet had tested positive and made it public on 30 March. After more than two weeks, her RT-PCR report has come negative.