Connor McGregor pleads guilty to assault in Brooklyn criminal court in bid to avoid prison sentence

Connor McGregor pled guilty to charges of assault and criminal mischief after throwing a dolly and a chair at a bus during an UFC event in a brawl during which two MMA fighters were injured.

Agence France-Presse July 26, 2018 23:24:46 IST
Connor McGregor pleads guilty to assault in Brooklyn criminal court in bid to avoid prison sentence

New York: Irish mixed martial arts superstar Conor McGregor pleaded guilty in a Brooklyn criminal court on Thursday to disorderly conduct, cutting a deal that allows him to avoid prison time over a New York brawl.

Connor McGregor pleads guilty to assault in Brooklyn criminal court in bid to avoid prison sentence

Connor McGregor was involved in a scuffle during a UFC event in April which injured two UFC fighters. AP

The 30-year-old, who is nicknamed "The Notorious," had been charged with multiple counts of assault and criminal mischief after attacking a bus filled with Ultimate Fighting Championship contenders at the Barclays Center in April. The frenzied attack injured two athletes.

McGregor pleaded guilty to a lesser charge of disorderly conduct in a fleeting court appearance, and was handed a punishment of five days' community service and an anger management program. All felony counts were dropped. But he was served with "orders of protection," to stay away from three people. McGregor stood before the judge, looking somber in a dark suit and striped tie, for the brief appearance.

"I just want to say I'm thankful to the DA (district attorney) and the judge for allowing me to move forward," a visibly relieved McGregor told reporters outside the court, adding, "I want to say to my friends, my family, my fans — thank you for the support."

"Now it's about getting back to business," said his manager, Audie Attar. He had faced up to seven years in prison if convicted on all counts, and was released on $50,000 bail following his arrest. Last month, following an earlier court appearance, McGregor expressed "regret" over the attack on the bus of rival fighters.

The Irishman pocketed around $100 million for the superfight he lost in August in Las Vegas against ex-welterweight champion Floyd Mayweather. Their matchup was one of the richest boxing bouts of all time. McGregor is ranked fourth on the Forbes list of the world's highest-paid athletes, with an estimated wealth of $99 million, behind Mayweather in at number one, and football sensations Lionel Messi and Cristiano Ronaldo.

He was filmed lobbing a dolly through a window of the bus in a New York stadium at the end of a media event on 5 April. The bus was moving slowly through the Barclays Center loading dock at the time. The father-of-one was also captured on surveillance cameras throwing a chair toward a passenger window of the bus.

Updated Date:

Find latest and upcoming tech gadgets online on Tech2 Gadgets. Get technology news, gadgets reviews & ratings. Popular gadgets including laptop, tablet and mobile specifications, features, prices, comparison.

also read

Novak Djokovic wants to play two more tournaments till end of season
Sports

Novak Djokovic wants to play two more tournaments till end of season

The Serb said that the London Masters, starting on November 15, is the second and final tournament that he still intended to play for the remainder of the season.

WTA tournament in Limoges called off due to strict COVID-19 measures put in place for Australian Open
Sports

WTA tournament in Limoges called off due to strict COVID-19 measures put in place for Australian Open

The tournament, which was scheduled to take place between 14-20 December, has been "directly affected" by the mandatory two-week coronavirus quarantine players have to respect before being allowed into Australia.

British Gymnastics chief executive Jane Allen to step down in December amidst allegations of abuse against organisation
Sports

British Gymnastics chief executive Jane Allen to step down in December amidst allegations of abuse against organisation

Allen took up her post in 2010 after 13 years in an equivalent position with Gymnastics Australia.