Champions League: Cristiano Ronaldo handed one-game ban by UEFA; available to play against former club Manchester United
Juventus forward Cristiano Ronaldo will be available to take on former side Manchester United in their upcoming group stage matches in October and November, after being handed a one game suspension.
Nyon: Cristiano Ronaldo will be able to face his old club Manchester United in the Champions League next month after UEFA handed the Juventus forward a one-game ban on Thursday.
The Portuguese superstar was sent off in the first half of Juve's 2-0 win away to Valencia last week after a clash with Jeison Murillo. He risked a potentially lengthy suspension, but instead the 33-year-old will only sit out his team's game at home to Swiss champions Young Boys next week.
Juve then play Jose Mourinho's United at Old Trafford on Tuesday, 23 October, before hosting the English club in Turin on 7 November in Group H. Ronaldo, a five-time Champions League winner, first won the competition with United in 2008 before leaving for Real Madrid a year later.
He moved to Juventus in July after nine years in the Spanish capital, and has so far scored three goals in Serie A for his new club.
Cristiano Ronaldo's Manchester United contract should be terminated, says Red Devils legend Gary Neville
The Portuguese superstar slammed United manager Erik ten Hag as well as the management and owners, the Glazer family, in an explosive interview with Piers Morgan on Sunday.
The five-time Ballon d'Or winner said he did not respect United manager Erik ten Hag and took aim at the club's owners, the Glazer family, during the 90-minute interview aired on TalkTV
His immediate release means Ronaldo is free to look for a new club, but it is not certain there will be a suitable landing spot for the player, despite his status in the game.