CAS decision on Maria Sharapova doping ban to be announced in October
A decision on former world number one tennis player Maria Sharapova's appeal against a two-year doping ban will be issued in the first week of next month, the CAS said.
A decision on former world number one tennis player Maria Sharapova's appeal against a two-year doping ban will be issued in the first week of next month, the Court of Arbitration for Sport (CAS) said on Tuesday.
Five-time grand slam winner Sharapova, 29, was banned by the International Tennis Federation (ITF) in June following a positive test for the banned drug meldonium during January's Australian Open.
Sharapova was named in Russia's official entry list for the Olympic Games in Rio de Janeiro but the CAS decided in July to defer its decision on her appeal against the ban.
Sharapova is seeking to have her suspension, which was handed down by the ITF in June, wiped out or reduced.
She had called the ITF's ruling "unfairly harsh" as an independent tribunal had found that she had not intentionally violated anti-doping rules.
Meldonium was added to World Anti-doping Agency's list of banned substances at the start of the year after mounting evidence that it boosted blood flow and enhanced athletic performance.
The 39-year-old Williams has already seen two of her likeliest title challengers, who have both beaten her in major finals in recent years, either fail to start the tournament or pull out in unprecedented circumstances.
Carlos Alcaraz qualified for the Australian Open main draw aged just 17 earlier this season and at the French Open, now 18, won his first-round match this week.
Queens Club Championships: Teary-eyed Andy Murray marks return to singles action with win over Benoit Paire
The former world number one, playing his first singles match since March and his first at Queen's since 2018 — he won the doubles at the Wimbledon warm-up tournament in 2019 — was barely tested by the moody Frenchman.