BWF waiting for 'more clarity' from China over World Tour Finals after General Administration of Sport's new restriction announcement

China's General Administration of Sport on Friday said the country will not host any of its planned international events this year except the trials for the 2022 Winter Olympics in Beijing to stop the spread of coronavirus.

Press Trust of India July 11, 2020 10:27:25 IST
BWF waiting for 'more clarity' from China over World Tour Finals after General Administration of Sport's new restriction announcement

The Badminton World Federation (BWF) on Saturday said it was waiting for "more clarity" from China before it takes a call on the season-ending World Tour Finals scheduled in December.

China's General Administration of Sport on Friday said the country will not host any of its planned international events this year except the trials for the 2022 Winter Olympics in Beijing to stop the spread of coronavirus.

The decision has put in doubt events including the World Tour Finals in Guangzhou, which was pushed back by a week to 16 to 20 December in the revamped calender due to the COVID-19 pandemic.

"The BWF is aware of the directive announced by the General Administration of Sport of China regarding the restriction of international sports for the rest of 2020," the badminton governing body said in a statement.

"BWF is in close contact with its relevant partners including the Chinese Badminton Association (CBA) to get more clarity on the situation and how this affects the BWF Tournament Calendar 2020."

Among other events to be held in the country, China Masters which was scheduled in August has already been called off, while the China Open World Tour Super 1000 event (15-20 September, Changzhou) and the Fuzhou China Open World Tour Super 750 (3-8 November) are still scheduled later in the year in the revised calender.

In May, the BWF had unveiled a revised international calendar to salvage the remainder of the season. However, with the global health crisis showing no signs of abating, many events were cancelled from the reworked calender.

The world body had also announced that ranking points earned at tournaments during the original qualification phase will be maintained.

The BWF had earlier frozen the world rankings and made the standings on March 17 as the basis for entry and seedings, when it resumes the international calendar.

Updated Date:

Find latest and upcoming tech gadgets online on Tech2 Gadgets. Get technology news, gadgets reviews & ratings. Popular gadgets including laptop, tablet and mobile specifications, features, prices, comparison.

also read

TOPS' Developmental Group program laudable but questions prevail over badminton's selection criteria
Sports

TOPS' Developmental Group program laudable but questions prevail over badminton's selection criteria

Several questions have been left unanswered about the process by which a total of 27 junior shuttlers were selected by the Sports Authority of India’s (SAI) ‘Mission Olympic Cell’ (MOC).

SAI shortlists 258 athletes for Junior TOPS group, to be provided Rs 25,000 in monthly allowance
Sports

SAI shortlists 258 athletes for Junior TOPS group, to be provided Rs 25,000 in monthly allowance

The support will be extended through a group/systems approach and a monthly out of pocket allowance of Rs 25,000 will be given to every TOPS athlete.

Top Indian shuttlers given green signal to return to court as Telangana government allows resumption of training
Sports

Top Indian shuttlers given green signal to return to court as Telangana government allows resumption of training

The decision came after a meeting between Telangana's top sports persons and the sports minister V Srinivas Goud, who has directed the officials at different centres to allow athletes to train on alternate dates at half the capacity of the facilities.