BWF cancels four more tournaments spread across September due to COVID-19

In May, the BWF had unveiled a revised international calendar to salvage the remainder of the season, disrupted by the global health crisis which is showing no signs of abating.

Press Trust of India July 30, 2020 08:44:36 IST
BWF cancels four more tournaments spread across September due to COVID-19

The COVID-19 pandemic continued to take a toll on international badminton with the game's world governing body (BWF) on Wednesday cancelling four more tournaments, including the prestigious China Open and Japan Open, from its revamped 2020 calendar.

The four tournaments cancelled are Taipei Open (1-6 September), Korea Open (8-13 September), China Open (15-20 September) and Japan Open (22-27 September).

"These decisions to cancel tournaments are made in the best interest of the health of the players, spectators, volunteers and Member Associations. We are deeply disappointed to have to cancel tournaments, but feel that the well-being of everyone involved is most important at this time," BWF Secretary General Thomas Lund said in a release.

BWF cancels four more tournaments spread across September due to COVID19

The BWF logo. Twitter: @bwfmedia

"I would like to acknowledge the significant efforts made by our Member Associations in the regions throughout this process for their patience and commitment to the BWF. We share the disappointment of many around the world who were looking forward to the return of badminton ... as we continue to navigate the remainder of the 2020 season."

In May, the BWF had unveiled a revised international calendar to salvage the remainder of the season, disrupted by the global health crisis which is showing no signs of abating.

Lund said: "The BWF will continue to adjust to changes to ensure any badminton activity 100% complies to the rules and regulations of the World Health Organization (WHO), local health authorities, and international and domestic travel restrictions."

The BWF had also announced that ranking points earned at tournaments during the original qualification phase will be maintained.

It had earlier frozen the world rankings and made the standings on 17 March as the basis for entry and seedings, when the international calendar resumes.

Updated Date:

also read

Beijing goes into semi-lockdown as COVID-19 cases start rising in China
World

Beijing goes into semi-lockdown as COVID-19 cases start rising in China

COVID-19 cases in China on Friday rose to over 25,000, including more than 500 in Beijing, prompting city officials to advise millions of residents to stay home and undergo daily testing

Workers protesting at world's biggest Apple iPhone factory in China beaten, detained
World

Workers protesting at world's biggest Apple iPhone factory in China beaten, detained

Videos on Chinese social media that said they were filmed at the factory in the central city of Zhengzhou showed thousands of people in masks facing rows of police in white protective suits with plastic riot shields. Postings on social media said they were protesting unspecified contract violations

What is camel flu, a virus deadlier than COVID, that could strike Qatar amid FIFA World Cup 2022?
Health

What is camel flu, a virus deadlier than COVID, that could strike Qatar amid FIFA World Cup 2022?

As 1.2 million football enthusiasts gather in Qatar for the FIFA World Cup 2022, the WHO has warned of a possible outbreak of camel flu, also known as the Middle East Respiratory System (MERS). Considered to be a deadlier cousin of COVID-19, it kills up to a third of those who get infected