Brazilian authorities freeze Neymar mansions amid $18 million tax dispute
Neymar's assets have been frozen in Brazil for back taxes amounting to $18 million pertaining to the 2013 transfer from Santos to Barcelona.
Brazilian tax authorities put a freeze on dozens of Neymar's mansions and other properties amid a long-running tax dispute
Brazilian authorities block 36 properties in Brazil as they seek $18 million in back taxes from Neymar
Neymar's off the pitch concerns mount after assets freeze in Brazil
Sao Paulo: Paris Saint-Germain striker Neymar’s off-pitch woes continue to mount, as Brazilian tax authorities put a freeze on dozens of his mansions and other properties amid a long-running tax dispute, local media reported Monday.
The Folha de S.Paulo newspaper reported that Brazilian authorities blocked 36 properties in Brazil as they seek 69 million reais ($18 million) in back taxes. They claim that amount is due in connection with Neymar’s 2013 transfer from Santos to Barcelona.
The action means Neymar can use the properties but not sell them.
Folha cited an unspecified court ruling as approving the action by Brazil tax authorities. It was not immediately possible to locate the ruling.
Brazil’s tax agency did not respond to a request for comment. A spokeswoman for Neymar did not have comment.
In addition to his tax fight, Neymar in recent weeks has been accused of rape, an allegation that Brazilian police are investigating.
A Brazilian woman accused Neymar, 27, of raping her at a Paris hotel last month. He denies the allegation and says the relationship was consensual.
On Sunday, a report in L’Equipe said that Paris Saint-Germain are prepared to sell Neymar, as chairman Nasser Al-Khelaifi warned that irresponsible behavior from players won’t be tolerated anymore.
Neymar will return to action with Brazil in November, when his team will qualify for the World Cup if it scores a home win over Colombia in the next round.
The defeat leaves Newcastle still in the relegation zone without a Premier League win this season.
The comments by the 29-year-old striker were made in the documentary Neymar & The Line Of Kings produced by DAZN. An excerpt was published on the channel's Twitter feed on Sunday.