Paris: Canadian teenager Bianca Andreescu rocketed up 36 places to a new best of 24th in the WTA rankings a day after her historic triumph at Indian Wells.
The 18-year-old Andreescu beat Germany's Angelique Kerber in Sunday's final to become the first women's wildcard to win the Indian Wells title.
Andreescu, with just one Grand Slam main draw victory to date, continued her meteoric rise having been ranked 243rd as recently as last October.
Wimbledon champion Kerber moved up four places to fourth as Naomi Osaka stayed top of the pile despite crashing out in the last 16 in a failed title defence.
Simona Halep, who also lost in the fourth round, slipped from second to third as the Romanian was replaced by Petra Kvitova.
Belinda Bencic continued her resurgence as she broke back into the top 20 after reaching the Indian Wells semi-finals, a run that included a victory over Osaka.
The 21-year-old Swiss won her first title in four years at Dubai last month after a string of injuries and a slump in form threatened to derail her career.
WTA rankings on March 18:
1. Naomi Osaka (JPN) 5,991 pts
2. Petra Kvitova (CZE) 5,550 (+1)
3. Simona Halep (ROU) 5,457 (-1)
4. Angelique Kerber (GER) 5,315 (+4)
5. Elina Svitolina (UKR) 5,225 (+1)
6. Sloane Stephens (USA) 5,222 (-2)
7. Karolina Pliskova (CZE) 5,145 (-2)
8. Kiki Bertens (NED) 4,995 (-1)
9. Aryna Sabalenka (BLR) 3,620
10. Serena Williams (USA) 3,406
11. Ashleigh Barty (AUS) 3,395 (+1)
12. Anastasija Sevastova (LAT) 3,270 (-1)
13. Caroline Wozniacki (DEN) 3,007
14. Elise Mertens (BEL) 2,800 (+2)
15. Julia Goerges (GER) 2,780
16. Madison Keys (USA) 2,726 (+1)
17. Garbine Muguruza (ESP) 2,635 (+3)
18. Wang Qiang (CHN) 2,607
19. Anett Kontaveit (EST) 2,465 (+2)
20. Belinda Bencic (SUI) 2,420 (+3)
24. Bianca Andreescu (CAN) 1,913 (+36)
Your guide to the latest election news, analysis, commentary, live updates and schedule for Lok Sabha Elections 2019 on firstpost.com/elections. Follow us on Twitter and Instagram or like our Facebook page for updates from all 543 constituencies for the upcoming general elections.
Updated Date: Mar 18, 2019 19:18:17 IST