Best French Open 2016 quotes: Watching Rafael Nadal attempt to win 10th title is remarkable
Who's saying what at the French Open 2016
We are into the third day of French Open and we have seen some some great matches, some not-so-great outfits and several great one-liners. From defending champions Stan Wawrinka's five-set scare which had girlfriend Donna Vekic nervous to comments on Roger Federer's absence, players had a lot to say.
Here's is the best of Roland Garros 2016 in the words of the players themselves.
"I had to go, really. Believe me. It was better if I wasn't on the court."
- Radek Stepanek on his controversial toilet break against Andy Murray, insisting it wasn't a delaying tactic.
"I was surprised, because to me, Roger is going to play when he reaches the age of, I don't know, 80."
- Timea Bacsinszky on Roger Federer's withdrawal from Roland Garros
"It took me most of my career to accomplish the Herculean task of winning the French Open just once. Watching you attempt to win it a 10th time is not only remarkable, it is inspiring."
- Andre Agassi in an open letter to Rafael Nadal which will be posted at the Nike store in Paris along with hundreds of other tributes to the nine-time champion
— Andre Agassi (@AndreAgassi) May 24, 2016
"He's never been in politics before. He's owned a small business for 25, 30 years of his life. I think he could bring some positive change for sure."
John Isner backing his father Robert's campaign to be elected to the North Carolina state legislature.
"Well, that was something else.."
- Donna Vekic, the girlfriend of Stan Wawrinka, tweeting her relief accompanined by a gif of cartoon character SpongeBob SquarePants nervously biting his nails after the champion edged Lukas Rosol.
— Donna Vekic (@DonnaVekic) May 23, 2016
"Welcome to France and the red tape. It's a process. We play by the rules. We asked for planning permission a long time ago. All we can do is monitor the situation and follow the due process."
- French Open tournament director Guy Forget on the slow progress of the expansion work at Roland Garros .
"Like I'm a germ freak so I have to change my blankets all the time. There is a big UA Stadium blanket. It's super warm. I have that and a cheetah print blanket for hotels. Reminds me of home. I like to be reminded of home. When I'm at home I'm on my couch snuggling my blanket."
- Sloane Stephens doesn't go anywhere without a blanket.
"I think we all know in this room if that was me that did that, it would be an absolute circus."
- Nick Kyrgios claiming that had he shoved an umpire -- as Novak Djokovic did in Rome last week -- he would have been sanctioned.
"He's just a good bloke."
- Kyrgios on fellow Australian Lleyton Hewitt
"I have lots of opponents which were making different kind of noises."
Swiss qualifier Victorija Golubic on American opponent Alison Riske, whose every shot was accompanied by a variety of sound effects.
Parliament's Monoon Session: Ask sharpest of questions, but allow govt to respond, PM tells Opposition
Modi said the government is fully prepared to give the answers that the people of the country want and that he hoped that the Monsoon Session is productive and dedicated to meaningful discussion
The 18-year-old Carlos Alcaraz swept past 35-year-old Richard Gasquet of France 6-2, 6-2 in the final in Umag.
On Saturday, Casper Ruud will attempt to become the first man since Andy Murray in 2011 to win three titles in as many weeks.