Bernard Tomic's bid to mount comeback to top 10 hits roadblock after Round 1 loss in Challenger tournament in Lille

This was Tomic's first outing since losing in the third round of qualifying for the Australian Open in Melbourne in January, a defeat that then saw him snap at reporters.

Reuters March 21, 2018 08:29:50 IST
Bernard Tomic's bid to mount comeback to top 10 hits roadblock after Round 1 loss in Challenger tournament in Lille

Melbourne: Bernard Tomic’s bid to kickstart his career after slipping to 181st in the world hit a speed bump on Tuesday when the 25-year-old Australian was knocked out in the first round of a second-tier tournament in France.

Tomic, once touted as a top-10 player, was beaten 6-2, 2-6, 6-4 by France’s Antonie Hoang at the tournament in Lille.

Bernard Tomics bid to mount comeback to top 10 hits roadblock after Round 1 loss in Challenger tournament in Lille

File image of Bernard Tomic. AFP

It was his first outing since losing in the third round of qualifying for the Australian Open in Melbourne in January, a defeat that then saw him snap at reporters.

That setback followed a forgettable 2017 season, during which he declared himself “bored” by tennis at Wimbledon and spoke of feeling “trapped” during media interviews.

Tomic, who was a contestant in a reality television show after the Australian Open, then put himself at loggerheads with Davis Cup captain Lleyton Hewitt by saying Australia would not win the title if he was not picked.

Hewitt said it was unlikely Tomic would play under him again.

Tomic, however, seemed to have recognised a rethink was in order last month when he said that he had wasted 2017. He resumed training and was keen to rebuild his career on the secondary Challenger circuit before looking to rejoin the main ATP Tour in April.

“I’m ready to challenge myself and hopefully in the next year I can be well inside the top 30,” he told News Corp in February. “But I’m going to have to work hard.”

Updated Date:

also read

Queen's, Eastbourne to offer full ATP ranking points despite banning Russian players
Sports

Queen's, Eastbourne to offer full ATP ranking points despite banning Russian players

Governing body of men's tennis said "Queen's and Eastbourne will proceed as normal, offering full ATP ranking points."

Daniil Medvedev ready to play Wimbledon if ban on Russian players reversed
Sports

Daniil Medvedev ready to play Wimbledon if ban on Russian players reversed

Daniil Medvedev, 26, said if other players at Geneva Open wanted to discuss the Wimbledon ban, he was happy to talk.

ATP Rankings: Carlos Alcaraz soars to sixth in men's rankings after Madrid romp
Sports

ATP Rankings: Carlos Alcaraz soars to sixth in men's rankings after Madrid romp

Carlos Alcaraz jumped three places to World No 6 in the ATP Rankings after winning the title in Madrid.