Barcelona forward Neymar signs new five-year deal; set to extend Camp Nou stay until 2021

Brazilian superstar Neymar signed a new five-year contract with Barcelona on Friday that will keep him at the Spanish champions until 2021, saying he felt 'at home' at the Camp Nou.

AFP October 21, 2016 21:02:54 IST
Barcelona forward Neymar signs new five-year deal; set to extend Camp Nou stay until 2021

Brazilian superstar Neymar signed a new five-year contract with Barcelona on Friday that will keep him at the Spanish champions until 2021, saying he felt "at home" at the Camp Nou.

The deal, which was agreed in June, includes a buy-out clause of up to 250 million euros ($272 million) as Barca seek to ward off interest from potential suitors across Europe.

Barcelona forward Neymar signs new fiveyear deal set to extend Camp Nou stay until 2021

File photo of Neymar. AFP

Manchester United were reportedly chief among a number of clubs wishing to prise the 24-year-old attacker from Barcelona, where he forms part of an acclaimed triumvirate along with Lionel Messi and Luis Suarez.

"I'm very happy to renew with the club, I feel at home," Neymar told Barcelona's official television station.

"I thought, with my family, that it was best for me to stay here," he added.

The Brazilian has hit 91 goals in 150 matches in all competitions for Barcelona since arriving from the Brazilian club Santos in 2013 in a controversial deal.

Barcelona, who underlined their status as European heavyweights with a 4-0 victory over Manchester City in the Champions League during the week, did not give details of how much they would be paying Neymar.

"Neymar Jr extended his deal with FC Barcelona on Friday afternoon, putting pen to paper on his contract at the club’s facilities in the presence of president Josep Maria Bartomeu," the club said on its website.

"As the club announced, Neymar has signed a five-year deal which will keep him at Barca until 30 June 2021."

In July a Spanish judge ruled that there were irregularities in Neymar's 2013 transfer to Barcelona from Santos, but said it was an issue for a civil court, not a criminal court to settle.

Last month authorities reopened the case following a successful appeal by Spanish prosecutors.

Updated Date:

also read

Champions League: United still a work in progress, says Pogba after narrow escape against Atalanta
Sports

Champions League: United still a work in progress, says Pogba after narrow escape against Atalanta

Coming just days after a dismal 4-2 defeat at Leicester in the Premier League, midfielder Pogba said the spirited comeback showed his team's character.

'No mismanagement, we didn't leave a poor legacy,' insists ex-Barcelona president Josep Bartomeu
Sports

'No mismanagement, we didn't leave a poor legacy,' insists ex-Barcelona president Josep Bartomeu

Josep Bartomeu said that most of the club’s financial woes had been caused by the impact of the pandemic, which closed down Camp Nou for more than a year and reduced other sources of revenue.

LaLiga: Real Madrid beat struggling Barcelona but Real Sociedad stay top
Sports

LaLiga: Real Madrid beat struggling Barcelona but Real Sociedad stay top

Barca have now lost a fourth consecutive Clasico for the first time since 1965 and drop to ninth in LaLiga, five points behind Madrid, who trail Real Sociedad by one.