Australian Open 2020: Divij Sharan loses second-round men's doubles match; Rohan Bopanna sole Indian left in the fray

With Sharan's loss, India's campaign in the men's doubles ended as Rohan Bopanna had made a first-round exit on Wednesday

Press Trust of India January 24, 2020 10:39:30 IST
Australian Open 2020: Divij Sharan loses second-round men's doubles match; Rohan Bopanna sole Indian left in the fray
  • Sharan and Sitak lost to the Brazilian-Croat pair 6-7, 3-6 in a second-round match that lasted one hour and 17 minutes

  • With Sharan's loss, India's campaign in the men's doubles ended as Rohan Bopanna had made a first-round exit on Wednesday

  • Sania Mirza's first Grand Slam outing after maternity leave ended with an early exit as she retired mid-way into her women's doubles first-round match

Melbourne: India's Divij Sharan and his New Zealand partner Artem Sitak were knocked out of the Australian Open men's doubles competition after going down in straight sets to Bruno Soares and Mate Pavic on Friday.

Australian Open 2020 Divij Sharan loses secondround mens doubles match Rohan Bopanna sole Indian left in the fray

File image of Indian tennis player Divij Sharan. Twitter/@rakutenopen

Sharan and Sitak lost to the Brazilian-Croat pair 6-7, 3-6 in a second-round match that lasted one hour and 17 minutes.

With Sharan's loss, India's campaign in the men's doubles ended as Rohan Bopanna had made a first-round exit on Wednesday.

On Thursday, comeback star Sania Mirza's first Grand Slam outing after maternity leave also ended with an early exit as the Indian ace retired mid-way into her women's doubles first-round match due to a calf injury.

She had also pulled out from the mixed doubles event to protect her calf from a strain.

Bopanna is the only Indian left in the fray now. The 39-year-old will partner Ukraine's Nadiia Kichenok in the mixed doubles event.

The duo will take on France's Nicolas Mahut and Zhang Shai of China in the first round on Saturday.

Updated Date:

Subscribe to Moneycontrol Pro at ₹499 for the first year. Use code PRO499. Limited period offer. *T&C apply

also read

Australia's T20I tour of New Zealand hit by community coronavirus outbreak
First Cricket News

Australia's T20I tour of New Zealand hit by community coronavirus outbreak

A New Zealand Cricket spokesman said the third match in the current T20 series, to be played in Wellington on Wednesday, will go ahead but without spectators.

Kane Williamson says he will not prefer skipping New Zealand tour of England due to IPL
First Cricket News

Kane Williamson says he will not prefer skipping New Zealand tour of England due to IPL

The IPL is likely to start in the second week of April and its knockout matches may stretch till early June, potentially clashing with New Zealand's first Test in England, which starts on 2 June at the Lord's.

NZC shifts remaining Australia men's and England women's T20Is to Wellington due to logistical reasons
First Cricket News

NZC shifts remaining Australia men's and England women's T20Is to Wellington due to logistical reasons

Last week, the NZC had shifted Friday's double headers from the Eden Park to Wellington, after COVID-19 alert Level 3 restrictions were imposed in Auckland, which doesn't allow any sports event to take place.