ATP rankings: Daniil Medvedev overtakes Rafael Nadal to take second spot behind Novak Djokovic
Medvedev, who was beaten by world number one Novak Djokovic in this year's Australian Open final, was elevated to second thanks to his win in the final of the Marseille tournament on Sunday.
Daniil Medvedev moved into second place in the ATP rankings on Monday, overtaking Rafael Nadal.
The 25-year-old Russian, who was beaten by world number one Novak Djokovic in this year's Australian Open final, was elevated to second thanks to his win in the final of the Marseille tournament on Sunday.
His 6-4, 6-7 (4/7), 6-4 victory against Pierre-Hugues Herbert made him just the fifth player to occupy the number two spot in the 16 years since July 2005.
Apart from Djokovic and Nadal, only Roger Federer and Andy Murray have held the position in that time.
Djokovic last week broke Federer's record for the number of weeks spent in the top spot.
ATP rankings as of 15 March:
1. Novak Djokovic (SRB) 12008 pts
2. Daniil Medvedev (RUS) 9940 (+1)
3. Rafael Nadal (ESP) 9670 (-1)
4. Dominic Thiem (AUT) 8625
5. Stefanos Tsitsipas (GRE) 6765
6. Roger Federer (SUI) 6375
7. Alexander Zverev (GER) 5635
8. Andrey Rublev (RUS) 5011
9. Diego Schwartzman (ARG) 3640
10. Matteo Berrettini (ITA) 3453
11. Roberto Bautista Agut (ESP) 2910 (+2)
12. Denis Shapovalov (CAN) 2865 (-1)
13. David Goffin (BEL) 2795 (+1)
14. Gael Monfils (FRA) 2770 (-2)
15. Pablo Carreno Busta (ESP) 2630 (+1)
16. Grigor Dimitrov (BUL) 2620 (+1)
17. Fabio Fognini (ITA) 2530 (+1)
18. Felix Auger-Aliassime (CAN) 2516 (+1)
19. Milos Raonic (CAN) 2450 (-4)
20. Cristian Garin (CHI) 2385 (+2)
French Open 2021: Novak Djokovic defeats 13-time champion Rafael Nadal to set up final against Stefanos Tsitsipas
In their 58th career clash, Djokovic triumphed 3-6, 6-3, 7-6 (7/4), 6-2 and stays on course to capture a 19th major and become the first man in over 50 years to win all four Slams twice.
Nadal vs Djokovic is tennis's greatest modern rivalry between two men who have harvested 38 Grand Slam titles and 72 Masters between them.
French Open 2021: 'Life goes on', Rafael Nadal shrugs off defeat against Novak Djokovic in semi-finals
Nadal said he plans to be back in 2022 although admitting that time is not on his side if he wants to re-establish his Paris dominance.