New York: Slumping former world number one Ana Ivanovic shut down her 2016 season on Tuesday after an injury-hit campaign ended with a first round loss at the US Open.
The 2008 French Open champion said she had taken the decision to stop playing until 2017 on medical advice.
"Unfortunately due to my recurring wrist injury, I have been advised by my doctor to take some time off court in order to recover and regain my full strength," the 28-year-old Serb said in a statement.
"I have also been delaying surgery on my toe which I broke at the Australian Open last year and this is something I will need to take care of in the coming weeks.
"As a result, I am sad to say that I will not be able to continue this season. I had to make this difficult decision so that I can fully recover and play injury-free next year."
Ivanovic lost 7-6 (7/4), 6-1 to Denisa Allertova of the Czech Republic at the US Open last week in what was her fourth successive defeat.
He last win was in Mallorca in June with her form since that time hampered by her wrist injury.
A difficult decision that I had to take. pic.twitter.com/XMUtOORCIG
— Ana Ivanovic (@AnaIvanovic) September 6, 2016
Updated Date: Sep 06, 2016 22:33 PM