AC Milan President Paolo Scaroni opposed to playing Coppa Italia semi-finals, finals in space of three days

Sports Minister Vincenzo Spadafora confirmed on Thursday Serie A could resume on 20 June and suggested the Coppa Italia could be completed beforehand

Reuters May 29, 2020 15:06:28 IST
AC Milan President Paolo Scaroni opposed to playing Coppa Italia semi-finals, finals in space of three days

Rome: AC Milan President Paolo Scaroni says he is opposed to plans to restart the Italian season by playing the Coppa Italia semi-finals and final in the space of a few days.

AC Milan President Paolo Scaroni opposed to playing Coppa Italia semifinals finals in space of three days

Paolo Scaroni. Image credits @acmilan

The season was suspended on 9 March due to the novel coronavirus outbreak after the semi-final first legs had been played.

Sports Minister Vincenzo Spadafora confirmed on Thursday Serie A could resume on 20 June and suggested the Coppa Italia could be completed beforehand, with the second legs, Napoli v Inter Milan and Juventus v AC Milan, on 13 June and the final three days later.

“We understand the value of being able to offer all fans quality matches after months of lockdown,” Scaroni told the ANSA news agency.

“But, from a sports point of view, we find it questionable to award an important trophy like the Coppa Italia with two matches in three days ... after more than three months of downtime.”

The Gazzetta Dello Sport said Inter Milan and Juventus were also opposed to the plans.

Two other club presidents welcomed the government’s decision to restart the season.

“I’m sure that with this restart, our football will be able to maintain that high standard of quality that is recognised throughout the world,” said Lazio’s Claudio Lotito, whose side are second in Serie A, one point behind leaders Juventus.

Torino’s Urbano Cairo said he had been sceptical about continuing the season but now agreed it should carry on.

“I was not only thinking about what is of interest to me but about a more general outlook and the health of the players and public. That’s why I was doubtful,” he told ANSA.

“Now, we’ve decided to get underway again and I’m obviously here to do things in the best possible way”.

Updated Date:

also read

Legends of '70s and '80s set to return to Indian football, but as a part of electoral voter’s list
Football

Legends of '70s and '80s set to return to Indian football, but as a part of electoral voter’s list

FIFA has also expressed its unhappiness with the inclusion of 36 players in the electoral list -- the same as the number of representatives from state associations, terming the move as "not prudent".

Barcelona register Robert Lewandowski and other new signings except Jules Kounde
Football

Barcelona register Robert Lewandowski and other new signings except Jules Kounde

Barcelona can only register French international Jules Kounde if the La Liga club reduces its payroll.

LaLiga: New-look Barcelona frustrated by Rayo Vallecano in season opener; Villarreal beat Real Valladolid
Football

LaLiga: New-look Barcelona frustrated by Rayo Vallecano in season opener; Villarreal beat Real Valladolid

Barcelona boss Xavi started close-season signings including defender Andreas Christensen, winger Raphinha and striker Robert Lewandowski, who were only able to feature after being registered with the league late on Friday.