Network18 Media and Investments Limited ("the Company/Network18") recognizes the importance of protecting the privacy of information and will keep the information you entrust to us safely and securely.
This policy tells you how Network18 collects information from you, how we protect it and how we use it, and share all personal information which you provide when you use or browse www.firstpost.com (the "Website").
Information Collection and Use
We will collect personally identifiable information from you in a variety of ways including when you navigate around our Website or respond to communications from us. Firstpost.com may also receive personally identifiable information from, third parties including our related companies, our business partners and publicly available sources of information.
The following is what we normally collect about you to help us provide you with our services, where we can:
• Personal attributes, name, address, gender, date of birth, email, telephone number and service details.
• Information on how you use our Website, including details of your domain name and Internet Protocol address, operating system, browser, cookies, time spent on a page or content, and the route you took to navigate through the pages
• Other data, from time to time, to help us provide you with improved products and services/newsletters.
If you choose not to provide us with certain information we may not be able to provide you with a particular service.
Firstpost.com also automatically receives and records information on our server logs from your browser including your IP address, firstpost.com cookie information and the page you requested.
In addition, when you use firstpost.com's services, you may make some of your personal information public. The main uses of your personal information are to verify your identity; to help provide our services; to share newsletters with you; to conduct market surveys; to administer those services; to enable us to review and improve our service to provide access to certain areas of the website; to personalize your visit to our site. The information we collect is also used to notify visitors about events, changes and other information about this Website. The information we collect is never shared with other organizations for commercial or other purposes.
This information may be used for marketing and for market research purposes, including internal demographic studies, to provide, optimize and personalize our services and to send you newsletters and information (where you have agreed to this) about our products and services.
We may use information about you to create a picture of your interests. This will allow us to understand our customers and visitors better, so we can make our services and marketing more relevant. Information that we use in this way may include:
(i) information about your use of this Website;
(ii) household classification data,
(iii) your responses to communications from us;
(iv) customer surveys;
Information Sharing and Disclosure
Firstpost.com will NOT disclose personally identifiable information, if any about you to third parties except in the following situations:
• We have your consent to share the information;
• We need to share your information to provide the product or service you have requested;
• We need to share the information with certain service partners in order to respond and resolve your service issues. (Unless we tell you differently, these partners have no independent right to use this information except to respond to your comments or to resolve the service issues.);
• We respond to requests from any Indian or foreign government, security, defence, revenue, regulatory or other authority, agency or officer;
• We respond to subpoenas, court orders or legal proceedings;
• When required by law that such action is necessary to protect and defend the rights of the property firstpost.com
• When applicable law or regulation requires disclosure of information to protect the safety or security of users of our Website;
• We find that your actions on our web Website violate the firstpost.com Terms of Service or any of our usage guidelines for specific products or services
• We may need to share details with third parties (such as auditors or legal advisors) to obtain advice. Any such processing will be governed by an agreement in the form required by law, preserving any statutory data protection rights.
We may share your information with other members of the Network18 Group.
Who has access to the information at firstpost.com?
• Members of firstpost.com ;
• Our related companies;
• Credit-reporting and fraud-checking agencies;
• Our professional advisers, including our accountants, auditors and lawyers;
• Other telecommunication and information service providers;
• By disclosing individual records such as IP addresses as may be required by law; or
• Government and regulatory authorities and other organizations, as required or authorized by law. We will ensure that these people only use such information to perform the above functions, and that they have adequate procedures in place to deal with your data securely. Some of these people may be based outside India.
By accessing the Company website or this Application or otherwise using the Services, you consent to collection, storage, and use of the personal information you provide (including any changes thereto as provided by you) for any of the services that we offer. The Company respects the privacy of the users of the Services and is committed to reasonably protect it in all respects. The information about the user as collected by the Company is:
• information supplied by users
• information automatically tracked while navigation
•information collected from any other source (collectively referred to as Information)
• Information, received and stored by the company
INFORMATION SUPPLIED BY USERS
When you register on the website, Application and for the Service, we ask that you provide basic contact Information such as your name, age, address, pin code, contact number, occupation, interests and email address etc. When you register using your other accounts like on Facebook, Twitter, Gmail etc. we shall retrieve Information from such account to continue to interact with you and to continue providing the Services.
• Accounts – Used for managing multiple user accounts within the app and for Login purposes
• Contacts – Used for accessing users Contact in order to share articles through the app
• Phone – To read phone state and enable user notifications on users device. IMEI is being collected to uniquely identify every user
• Camera – In order for the user to upload images and profile image of the User. Let’s user use Camera inside of News18
• Microphone – To enable voice command related actions
•Storage – To access files folders from inside the App
• SMS – To send and receive verification messages
Subscription or paid service data
When you chose any subscription or paid service, we or our payment gateway provider may collect your purchase, address or billing information, including your credit card number and expiration date etc. However when you order using an in-app purchase option, same are handled by such platform providers. The subscriptions or paid Services may be on auto renewal mode unless cancelled. If at any point you do not wish to auto-renew your subscription, you may cancel your subscription before the end of the subscription term. Accessing and updating personal information When you use the Services from News18 (websites or any of its sub sites), we make good faith efforts to provide you, as and when requested by you, with access to your personal information and shall further ensure that any personal information or sensitive personal data or information found to be inaccurate or deficient shall be corrected or amended as feasible, subject to any requirement for such personal information or sensitive personal data or information to be retained by law or for legitimate business purposes. We ask individual users to identify themselves and the information requested to be accessed, corrected or removed before processing such requests, and we may decline to process requests that are unreasonably repetitive or systematic, require disproportionate technical effort, jeopardize the privacy of others, or would be extremely impractical (for instance, requests concerning information residing on backup tapes), or for which access is not otherwise required. In any case, where we provide information access and correction, we perform this service free of charge, except if doing so would require a disproportionate effort. Because of the way we maintain certain services, after you delete your information, residual copies may take a period of time before they are deleted from our active servers and may remain in our backup systems.
Use of information for marketing
In line with any permission you give us, we may send you direct marketing about our own, or carefully selected third parties' goods and services and disclose your information to other organizations that may send direct marketing to you. In addition, you can unsubscribe from email communications via unsubscribe links provided in communications sent to you.
Link from or to Other Website
User/member interaction features
firstpost.com has many features that provide for users/members to disclose their identities and communicate with other users/members. Your use of such features and disclosure of any personal details (e.g. e-mail address) by you through these features are at your sole risk and firstpost.com accepts no responsibility for the same. However, if your privacy has been intruded as a result of participating in such features, you could notify us by e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org
We take various precautions to keep your personal information secure from unauthorized access and will store your personal information for so long as it is necessary to provide you our services or for archive purposes.
Using the Google Ads preference manager page, you can opt out of interest based advertising - http://www.google.com/ads/preferences. After you opt out, Google will not collect interest category information and you will not receive interest-based ads..
Notification of Changes
If at any time you believe that firstpost.com or its users/members have not adhered to these principles, please notify firstpost.com by e-mail at email@example.com and we will use all commercially reasonable efforts to promptly determine and correct the problem.