Let's face it, however much we gloat over love stories, nothing fires our bellies like a great tragedy - the tales of lovers parting ways. The BJP-Shiv Sena story was almost poised for a similar place in our memories when Uddhav Thackeray decided to play tough guy with big guy BJP on the seat-sharing issue, threatening their much-celebrated alliance with an ill-timed break-up.
However, though the Sena offered a compromise by blinking first and offering the BJP 130 seats, as opposed to the 119 they were insistent on initially, reports suggest that BJP president Amit Shah has decided to break the Sena's heart!
The deal came a cropper possibly because the Sena has radically cut down the number of seats they were willing to offer to the smaller parties in the Maharashtra polls. Now Sena and BJP will join a long and illustrious list of celebs and brands who went for high profile splits. We have compiled a list of the high end divorces that grabbed headlines, like the Sena-BJP's troubled marriage is doing right now.
1. The Suzanne-Hrithik divorce: The country's answer to the Greek gods. That man's wife. Big, shiny biceps. *Insert lightning strike* Childhood sweethearts divorce. After Dilwale Dulhaniya Le Jayenge, if there is any story that captured the imagination of love-sick Indians, it has to be the divorce of Hrithik Roshan and Suzanne Khan. Add to that allegations that Khan demanded Rs 4,000 crores in divorce settlement, and this was nearly the perfect tragedy that could ever be. Add to that speculations on the villains. This divorce grabbed more headlines than all of Hrithik's films put together!
2. Bruce Willis and Demi Moore: For 11 years, Demi Moore and Bruce Willis were Hollywood's picture-perfect couple. They melted hearts when they called each other "Mommio" and "Daddio" in interviews. They were business partners and there seemed to be no scandal that could rock their boat. Until 1998, when Moore and Willis separated. Two years later, the divorce was finalised, Willis released a statement saying he had failed as a husband and a father, and Moore was richer by approximately $90 million.
3. The Hero - Honda split: Now, how difficult is it to tell Hero and Honda apart as two different entities. In India's popular imagination Hero Honda is one, like Abbas Mastan or Laxmikant Pyaarelal. We can't actually bet that not many know about the Hero Motocorp's split from Japan's Honda which came through in 2010. In 2011, Hero bought over Honda's shares and Hero MotoCorp was born. That 'hum mein hai Hero' song that you hum while waiting for your tea to boil over or arranging your wardrobe, is not about Hero Honda bicycles people. The couple parted ways long back.
4. Mahesh Bhupathi-Leander Paes: When Mahesh Bhupathi and Leander Paes decided to go their own ways, hearts broke across the country. Because the country had just witnessed their favourite bromance after Jai Veeru come to an end and it was not a pretty sight. Let's face it, they made, errm, a goodlooking pair, right? Almost like India's answer to Boyzone, a little more to drool over in one package, right? Though the duo had been squabbling quite a bit for a while, 2012 was the black dot in their relationship. And Bhupathi hurled the classic wronged lover accusation at Paes, "He lied to me." Let's not say Paes was never heartbroken. Exactly, a year later, he was seen in a film called Rajdhani Express. We suspect that deep psychological trauma he experienced from the split was what threw him in the arms of the film shaped disaster that Rajdhani Express was!
5. Apple and Google: Once upon a time, before the Android vs iOS war was the bitter horrible thing we all know it to be today, Apple and Google were actually (gasp) friends! Well not really. But Apple Maps was a big part of why everyone thought that the iPhone was awesome. A lot of Google's apps like Maps and YouTube were native apps on the device. But in 2012 that all ended. iPhone booted off Google Maps and came up with that monstrosity called Apple Maps. A lot of reasons have been given for why this happened including this and this. End result? A lot of lost iPhone users wish they could have just stayed together
Updated Date: Sep 25, 2014 12:51:33 IST