US Open headlines and sidelines on Friday, the fifth day of the 2016 tournament at Flushing Meadows:
Djokovic wins in 32 minutes after Youzhny quits
Nadal in last 16 for first time since 2013
2014 champion Cilic knocked out by Sock
Keys prevails in epic comeback
Who's saying what
"It's kind of nice sometimes, when it's hot, to be standing in the shade. I'm like, oh, it's probably 15 degrees cooler here than it is on the other side, so I'll just let her run a little bit more."
- Caroline Wozniacki on an extra tactic when temperatures are in the low 30s.
"I really enjoy baking, which is tough on the road. Yeah, so whenever I'm home I feel like I'm constantly in the kitchen."
- Madison Keys on what she does to relax.
"lol..popped a calf muscle running downstairs to interview Novak on-court after Mikhail withdrew Getting old sucks."
- Darren Cahill, former player and now coach of Simona Halep and ESPN analyst, on Twitter.
Sock on the fence
- Jack Sock celebrated his shock win over 2014 champion Marin Cilic by breaking into an imitation of a swordsman. It was in honour of his friend and US Olympic fencer Miles Chamley-Watson who was watching from the sidelines.
Watch it, Rafa!
- Spanish star Rafael Nadal will never have an excuse for being late on court as he wears a wristwatch reported to be worth $775,000. According to Forbes magazine, Nadal sports a RM 27-02 Tourbillon watch every time he plays a match.
Vinci, the Italian American Olympian
- Last year's runner-up Roberta Vinci of Italy walked into her post-match news conference after making the fourth round wearing a United States Olympic sweatshirt. "I got it last week in New Haven. You like it?" she asked.
Cash registers for Harrison and Baghdatis
- When Ryan Harrison defeated Marcos Baghdatis in the second-tier Happy Valley Challenger in Australia in 2015, Harrison took home a winner's cheque worth $7,200. On Friday, the pair met again with Baghdatis winning this time and guaranteeing himself at least $235,000 for making the last-16.
9 - number of successive losses suffered by Baghdatis in third rounds at Grand Slams before Friday. The Cypriot is in his first last-16 at a Slam since the 2009 Australian Open.
44/45 - number of service games won by Ivo Karlovic after two rounds, the best percentage in the men's event.
Your guide to the latest election news, analysis, commentary, live updates and schedule for Lok Sabha Elections 2019 on firstpost.com/elections. Follow us on Twitter and Instagram or like our Facebook page for updates from all 543 constituencies for the upcoming general elections.
Updated Date: Sep 03, 2016 18:36:25 IST