Lucknow: Clearing confusion over its action against slaughter houses in the state, the Uttar Pradesh government on Monday said it was acting only against the illegal abattoirs.
"We are acting only against illegal abattoirs. Licenced slaughterhouses are requested to stick to the norms," Health Minister Siddhartha Nath Singh told reporters.
"The licenced slaughter houses should comply with the norms mentioned in the licence and need not fear," he said.
"No orders have been issued to take any action against any shop selling chicken, fish or eggs. They need not fear," Singh clarified.
He directed the officials that they should not act in over-enthusiasm nor they should overstep their jurisdiction.
Citing an instance, Singh said, "One of the norms mentioned in the licence is the installation of CCTV cameras in the premises of the slaughterhouse. If this norm is not complied with, then instead of ordering the closure of the slaughterhouse, a notice may be issued to its owner, and he be instructed to take necessary remedial steps within a specific timeframe."
Noting that the National Green Tribunal had insisted on the closure of illegal slaughterhouses, he said, "The NGT had in 2015 observed that illegal slaughter houses are a concern for the environment while insisting on their closure. However, the previous government did not do anything to ensure the closure of these illegal abattoirs."
Incidentally, meat sellers across the state on Monday went on an indefinite strike against the crackdown on illegal and mechanised slaughterhouses.
Singh said a propaganda is being circulated through various social media platforms (especially by those who do not agree with our ideology).
"Please do not fall prey to the propaganda," he said.
On whether the state government is open to holding talks with the meat sellers, the minister said, "So far, no delegation of the meat sellers has approached us."
"They are most welcome to meet us and convey their point of view. We would meet them with an open mind, but will not allow illegal things," he said.
On anti-Romeo squads, Singh said the government would not tolerate any vigilantism.
"If anyone dares do it, he will be in serious trouble," he said when asked specifically about reports that young boys and girls were being harassed.
Firstpost is now on WhatsApp. For the latest analysis, commentary and news updates, sign up for our WhatsApp services. Just go to Firstpost.com/Whatsapp and hit the Subscribe button.
Updated Date: Mar 27, 2017 14:14:47 IST