TMC 'member' says 30% Muslim vote share in India can form four Pakistans, draws flak from BJP

Trinamool Congress has distanced itself from the comment and maintains that Sheikh Alam is not a party member and the TMC doesn't support his stance

Press Trust of India March 26, 2021 11:45:28 IST
TMC 'member' says 30% Muslim vote share in India can form four Pakistans, draws flak from BJP

Screen grab of a video that has gone viral shows TMC leader Sheikh Alam saying if 30% Muslims in India come together they can form four Pakistans.

Nanoor: A video clip, where a local leader, with a TMC poster in hand, is heard stating "four Pakistan can be created if India's 30 percent Muslims unite", has drawn major flak from the BJP, which sought to know if the ruling party in Bengal endorses such remarks.

The TMC, however, has distanced itself from the comment, stating that Sheikh Alam, seen in the video, is not a member of the TMC, and the party doesn't support what he said.

The 30-second video, apparently shot at Nanoor in Birbhum, has gone viral on social media.

Follow Assembly Election 2021 LIVE Updates here

Alam is heard saying in the clip, "We minorities constitute 30 percent of the population. The rest make for 70 percent. They (BJP) think they will come to power (in Bengal) with the help of this 70 percent. If 30 percent of minorities unite, if India's Muslims unite, four Pakistan can be created. Where will India's 70 percent go?"

Reacting to the clip, BJP national general secretary and the party's Bengal minder, Kailash Vijayvargiya, said it exposes the TMC's real intention.

"This video brings out the truth about the TMC. This is a serious thing. How can someone staying in India claim that he will turn the country into Pakistan? We will never allow this to happen. Mamata ji owes a reply to the people of the state and the country," he said.

Senior BJP leader Amit Malviya, in a tweet, wondered if Mamata endorses Alam's stance.

"Yesterday, TMC leader Sheikh Alam, giving a speech in Basa para, Nanoor, in Birbhum AC said, if 30 percent Muslims in India come together, then four Pakistan can be formed. He obviously owes his allegiance to Mamata Banerjee. Does she endorse this position? Do we want a Bengal like that?" he tweeted.

TMC Birbhum district president Anubrata Mandal, however, quickly clarified that Alam was not a leader of the state's ruling camp.

"Sheikh Alam is neither a member of the party nor is he a leader from Nanoor. We have no relation with him. We don't support such statements. India is a secular country and will remain so," he said.

Sheikh, when approached by reporters, said his words have been misinterpreted.

"I never said we want to build a Pakistan in India. I just wanted to convey that if the Muslims are threatened, then we, too, know how to care of ourselves," he said.

Updated Date:

also read

Mamata writes to Opposition leaders, calls for united stand against BJP's 'assaults on democracy, Constitution'
Politics

Mamata writes to Opposition leaders, calls for united stand against BJP's 'assaults on democracy, Constitution'

Ahead of the second phase of polls in the state, Banerjee's letter seeks to drum up support from Opposition leaders by stating how non-BJP states have suffered due to the saffron party-led Centre's actions

Assembly Election 2021 Updates: Calcutta HC orders strict compliance with COVID protocol during campaigning
Politics

Assembly Election 2021 Updates: Calcutta HC orders strict compliance with COVID protocol during campaigning

Assembly Election 2021 LIVE Updates: Hearing two PILs in this regard, a division bench presided by Chief Justice TBN Radhakrishnan ordered that all district magistrates will ensure that the guidelines laid down by the EC are strictly implemented

West Bengal Assembly election 2021, Shibpur profile: TMC's Jatu Lahiri won from constituency in 2016 polls
Politics

West Bengal Assembly election 2021, Shibpur profile: TMC's Jatu Lahiri won from constituency in 2016 polls

In the 2016 West Bengal Assembly election, Jatu Lahiri of the TMC won the Shibpur constituency. He secured 88,076 votes as against 61,062 votes won by his main opponent Jagannath Bhattacharyya of the AIFB