Shiv Sena dumps BJP for 2019: Congress dubs move 'laughable'; NCP says it should withdraw from Maharashtra govt
Opposition Congress and NCP on Tuesday scoffed at the Shiv Sena's announcement to go it alone in the 2019 Lok Sabha and state Assembly polls, asking why it continues to be in the BJP-led government even now.
Mumbai: Opposition Congress and NCP on Tuesday scoffed at the Shiv Sena's announcement to go it alone in the 2019 Lok Sabha and state Assembly polls, asking why it continues to be in the BJP-led government even now.
Maharashtra Congress spokesperson Sachin Sawant termed the Sena's decision as "laughable" and "illogical".
"The Sena remains an ally in the government, and continues to be critical of its policies. The party has scored a century of announcements to pull out of the government which it has not done so far. The people do not take the Sena seriously," he said.
NCP spokesperson Nawab Malik demanded the Sena withdraw from the BJP-led state government and face mid-term polls. "We are ready for elections," he said.
The fear of defection from its ranks is stopping the Shiv Sena from pulling out of the government, Malik alleged.
"The party is unable to come to terms with being the younger brother in the alliance with the BJP," the NCP leader said.
The Shiv Sena, at a meeting to re-elect Uddhav Thackeray as party president and complete the procedure of organisational polls, resolved to go solo in the 2019 elections.
The party, with 63 MLAs and 18 MPs, is an ally of the BJP in the state and Centre.
Earlier, the BMC had denied permission to both the camps to hold a Dussehra rally at the Shivaji Park ground citing law and order concerns. The dispute over the iconic venue was then moved to the Bombay High Court
The petition sought directions to the BMC to immediately grant permission for the Sena's Dussehra rally at central Mumbai’s Shivaji Park. The Sena faction decided to approach the court since the civic body has not responded to their application seeking approval for the rally
Thackeray requested Amit Shah and Devendra Fadnavis to take the sternest action against those who allegedly raised the anti-national slogans and said if Hindus and Marathis decide to take the matter into their hands, there will be unrest during the festive times