Refugees' attack on Assam students' union office: State govt to launch probe
The Assam government on Wednesday set up a one-man inquiry commission to probe the violence in Silapathar two days ago where protesters led by a Bengali group demanding citizenship for Hindu Bangladeshis vandalised an All Assam Students Union office.
Guwahati: The Assam government on Wednesday set up a one-man inquiry commission to probe the violence in Silapathar two days ago where protesters led by a Bengali group demanding citizenship for Hindu Bangladeshis vandalised an All Assam Students Union office.
Meanwhile, Assam's prominent students' body, All Assam Students' Union (Aasu) has dared Assam Chief Minister Sarbananda Sonowal and the BJP-led government in Dispur to prove their sincerity and commitment by arresting Subodh Biswas, the president of Nikhil Bharat Bengali Udbastu Samanvay Samiti (NBBUSS) within 12 hours time, over the violence.
The NBBUSS is spearheading a movement for granting citizenship to Hindu Bangladeshis by amending the Citizenship Act.
Assam police had on Tuesday evening issued a wanted notice against Biswas for his alleged role in instigating the mob to ransack and vandalize the office of the Aasu at Silapathar town in Assam's Dhemaji district on Monday.
The Assam government had already instituted a probe to be headed by Additional Chief Secretary VB Pyarelal and submit the report within 30 days time. The police had arrested nine persons for their alleged role in attacking and vandalizing the Aasu office and also to attack the security forces during the violence.
"Why is it taking so long to arrest Biswas? How can he escape from Silapathar so easily? The BJP-led Assam government often talks about protecting the land culture and identity of the people of Assam. It is high time the government should prove its sincerity by arresting Biswas," said Aasu general secretary, Lurinjyoti Gogoi while talking to the media on Wednesday.
The prominent students' body today organised a peaceful protest meeting in Dhemaji, which was attended by the leaders of 19 civil society groups and several other community organizations, who had extended their support to the Aasu.
The Assam government on Wednesday issued a notification regarding the institution of the one-man inquiry commission to probe the circumstances leading to the violence in Silapathar on Monday and said that the committee will ascertain the facts and circumstances leading to the said incidence of violence.
"With due regard to the facts ascertained, the Committee will also ascertain whether any individual or organisation is involved in the violence, if so, will fix responsibility. It will also inquire whether this incidence was a part of larger conspiracy to disturb peace and tranquility in the state and to cause disaffection amongst different sections of the society," a statement issued by the Assam government said on Wednesday.
Meanwhile, Assam Governor Banwarilal Purohit also expressed grave concern over the vandalism incident and termed it an act of cowardice. He also said the perpetrators will be dealt with sternly as per the established law and nobody would go scot free.
At the same time, Purohit appealed to everybody not to take law in their hands and display absolute restraint. He also urged upon all to maintain peace and harmony to strengthen Assam's pride of being a multi-ethnic, multi-cultural, multi-lingual and multi-religious society.
The Assam government reportedly included a two-year old world famous photograph of Bangladesh’s Noakhali flood in its interim report of the flood situation in the state to Union Home Minister Rajnath Singh.
Man-elephant conflict rings alarm bells for Assam govt: 48 human, 70 jumbo deaths reported in a year
The man-elephant conflict has assumed alarming proportions in Assam this year, compelling the state government to take initiatives to resolve the issue.
Supreme Court to hear Assam NRC matter today: Process of filing claims and objections should be fair, court had said
Amid political slugfest over Assam's National Register for Citizens (NRC) draft, the Supreme Court will on Tuesday hear the matter. The second final draft, which was released on 30 July, included names of 2.89 crore people out of 3.29 crore applicants in Assam. It left out names of nearly 40 lakh people.