Railways has subsidised 85% fare of special trains for migrant workers, states to pay remaining 15%, claims BJP

The state government concerned can also pay for the tickets, BJP spokesperson Sambit Patra said. He said the Madhya Pradesh government is doing so and asked Rahul Gandhi to tell the Congress-ruled states to follow suit.

Press Trust of India May 04, 2020 19:42:47 IST
Railways has subsidised 85% fare of special trains for migrant workers, states to pay remaining 15%, claims BJP

New Delhi: The BJP said on Monday the railways has subsidised 85 percent of ticket fare for special trains being run to transport migrant workers and the state government has to pay the remaining 15 percent, soon after the Congress attacked the central government over the issue.

The state government concerned can also pay for the tickets, BJP spokesperson Sambit Patra said. He said the Madhya Pradesh government is doing so and asked Rahul Gandhi to tell the Congress-ruled states to follow suit.

He was responding to Congress leader Rahul Gandhi's attack on the railways for charging poor migrant labourers ticket fare, even as it donated over Rs 151 crore to the PM-CARES Fund.

The BJP leader further clarified that for each 'Shramik Express', special trains being run for migrants, about 1,200 tickets to the destination are handed by the railways to the state government concerned. State governments are supposed to clear the ticket price and hand over the tickets to workers, he said.

Seeking to corner the Central government, the Congress on Monday said its state units will bear the cost of rail travel of needy migrant workers and labourers stranded at their workplaces due to the lockdown imposed to curb the spread of coronavirus .

Congress president Sonia Gandhi in a statement announced the party's decision and said this would be the Congress' humble contribution in standing shoulder to shoulder with these workers.

In a tweet, BJP MP Subramanian Swamy claimed that migrant workers returning home will not have to pay money as the rail travel will be free from now onwards.

Updated Date:

also read

Rahul Gandhi cancels upcoming rallies in West Bengal due to rise in COVID-19 cases
Politics

Rahul Gandhi cancels upcoming rallies in West Bengal due to rise in COVID-19 cases

The Congress leader also exhorted all political leaders 'to think deeply about the consequences of holding large public rallies under the current circumstances'

Bengal polls: Mamata 'clean bowled' in Nandigram, her entire team asked to leave field, says Modi
Politics

Bengal polls: Mamata 'clean bowled' in Nandigram, her entire team asked to leave field, says Modi

Modi came down hard on the chief minister, accusing her of instigating people against central forces on election duty in the state

Rahul Gandhi calls COVID-19 vaccine festival 'a sham', slams Centre's handling of pandemic
India

Rahul Gandhi calls COVID-19 vaccine festival 'a sham', slams Centre's handling of pandemic

India added a record over two lakh new COVID-19 infections in a day pushing the total tally of cases to 1,40,74,564, while the active cases passed the 14-lakh mark