It's like asking murderer to probe murder: Kejriwal, Cong flay NDA over Pathankot attack investigation
Before Arvind Kejriwal, the Congress too had slammed PM Modi for Pakistan JIT to investigate the Pathankot attack even though India has claimed that Pakistan is behind the attack.
Delhi Chief Minister Arvind Kejriwal on Monday accused Prime Minister Narendra Modi of "surrendering" to Pakistan by allowing its investigators to probe the Pathankot attack and said instead Indian probe agencies should have gone to that country where "actual masterminds are sitting".
India is saying that Pathankot terror attack was Pakistan-sponsored and in this situation, how can ISI probe against itself?, he asked.
"We are saying that Pathankot terror attack was Pakistan-sponsored. If it was Pakistan-sponsored attack, how can ISI probe against itself?. India is the major victim of the terror attacks and masterminds, who are actual players, are sitting in Pakistan.
"Instead of ISI and Pakistan Army coming, Indian's probe agency R&AW, Army should have gone to Pakistan. Hafiz Saeed is not in India, but in Pakistan," Kejriwal said.
He further said Indian's probe agency should have gone to Pakistan to interrogate Hafiz Saeed, but we are allowing Pakistan's agency to probe the January terror attack on the IAF base in Pathankot.
"We are even saying that 26/11 Mumbai terror attack had been carried out by terrorists who came from Pakistan. The ISI, which had sent terrorists to India for carrying out terror attacks here, has come to India today to gather evidences against itself in Pathankot terror attack. What is Indian government doing ?," he said.
"The Modi government has completely surrendered to Pakistan and we don't know what is the reason behind it. Prime Minister Narendra Modi should give answer to the people of country as to why he has surrendered before the Pakistan," the Delhi Chief Minister said.
Kejriwal told the media that Pakistan had been harbouring anti-India terrorists and asked how its security and intelligence officials were being allowed to investigate something they had sponsored.
Earlier on Monday, Congress also questioned the government's move to give Pakistan's security and intelligence officials access to the IAF base in Pathankot.
Party's chief spokesman Randeep Surjewala said by this action, the Modi government has "recognised" that Pakistan does not have any role in perpetuating terror in India.
Talking to reporters in Chandigarh, he said it appears to be a case of accused investigating himself.
"By allowing an official Pakistani team to visit and investigate, BJP government has, for the first time, distinguished and, therefore, recognised that the Pakistani establishment does not have any role in perpetuating terror in India, more so in the context of Pathankot Terror Attack," he said.
Surjewala, who later issued a statement in New Delhi, said, "India has always recognized complete inter-mixing of State and non-State actors in export of terror to India. This clear line of 'no-distinction' between State and non-State actors in Pakistan has been breached suo motu by BJP government in favour of Pakistani Army and ISI. "This is despite the fact that Pakistan itself, till now, has only been resorting to "an eye wash, as far as this crucial distinction is concerned."
Besides, he said "unfettered access" to Pakistani JIT raises serious questions on procedural propriety in relation to compromise on national security.
"Arrival of Pakistani JIT to look into Pathankot Terror Attack, unfettered access being provided and almost red carpet welcome being accorded to the Pakistani team along with visit to Pathankot Airbase without even a 'Letter Rogatory' from Pakistan raises serious questions with regard to procedural propriety and genuine apprehensions vis-à-vis compromises on 'National Security'," the Congress spokesman said.
At the AICC briefing in Delhi, party spokesman R P N Singh said, "They (government) are rolling out a red-carpet -it is like asking murderer to come and investigate as to who murdered the child."
The five-member Pakistani team arrived in Delhi on Sunday to probe the 2 January terror attack at the Pathankot air base in Punjab. The team will travel to Pathankot on Monday evening and question witnesses there.
According to official sources, the Pakistani team will be given limited access to the Indian airbase where at least seven military personnel were killed after a gun and bomb attack by alleged Pakistani terrorists.
One civilian was also killed in the attack on the sprawling 2,000-acre complex that houses high-value Indian defence assets, including fighter jets. Six terrorists who had crossed over into Punjab from Pakistan were also killed.
This is the first time that New Delhi has allowed Pakistani investigators to probe a terror attack in India blamed on that country.
The access was granted as India hoped that Pakistan will bring to justice the alleged perpetrators, including Jaish-e-Mohammad chief Masood Azhar.
Sources said that cooperation is offered to the Pakistani team on the principle of reciprocity. India hopes that a team will be allowed to travel to Pakistan at a later date.
With inputs from agencies
Arvind Kejriwal said that AAP will solve the problem of encroachment and people residing in unauthorised colonies will get ownership rights
The Delhi BJP sought a probe by a retired high court judge as it alleged laxity on the part of agencies concerned and a delay in providing timely help
That AAP has ‘out-Congressed’ the Congress in letting down its biggest cheerleaders says something about its cynical and obsessively self-centred politics