Did you know that the number of crorepatis contesting in Haryana assembly polls have risen from 32 percent in 2009 to 42 percent in 2014?
The Association for Democratic Reforms (ADR) has analysed the affidavits of 1343 candidates contesting for the Haryana assembly polls and found that the number of crorepatis have risen from 380 in 2009 to 563 in 2014.
Here are some interesting financial details:
1. Out of 1343 candidates, 122 candidates declared assets worth more than Rs 10 crore against 41 candidates from the previous Haryana Assembly elections in 2009
2. 90% out of 90 candidates in INC were crorepatis, 77 (86%) out of 90 candidates in BJP are crorepatis, 72 (82%) out of 88 candidates in INLD are crorepatis. You can view the entire percentage of party wise crorepati candidates in the table below:
3. The average assets per candidate contesting in 2014 elections is Rs 4.54 crore, up from Rs 2.05 crore in 2009.
4. The average assets of 67 re-contesting MLAs has also increased fron Rs 7.30 crore in 2009 to Rs 18.71 crore in 2014. The average asset growth of re-contesting MLAs is Rs 11.41 crore or a whopping 156%.
5. Among major parties, average assets per candidate of the Congress party stands at Rs 11.38 crore, which is larger than BJP's Rs 9.80 crore but does not beat INLD candidates whose average assets are worth Rs 11.41 crore.
6. Candidates with the highest personal income include Rohtas (Rs 67 crore) and Abhay Singh Chautala from INLD (Rs 2 crore) and BJP's Vipul Goyal (Rs 2 crore).
7. 5 candidates have declared that they have zero total assets. These include Mohan Kumar, Jagdish Kumar and Satish Kumar from IND, sandeep from RPI(A), Subhash Singh from Haryana Janhit Congress (BL)
8. And get this: 73 candidates have declared liabilities of above Rs 1 crore, of which eight have declared liabilities of over 10 crore. Here are the top three candidates with the highest number of liabilities:
Savitri Jindal of INC from Hisar constituency has declared a maximum increase in total assets with an increase of Rs 69.59 crore. Her assets have grown from Rs 43.68 crore in 2009 to Rs 113.27 crore in 2014. The total assets of Sukhbir Kataria, an Independent candidate from Gurgaon constituency have increased by Rs 65.92 crore, followed by Venod Sharma of the Haryana Jan Chetna Party (V) from Ambala City constituency whose total assets have risen by Rs 65.73 crore.
However, Shiv Charan Lal, Independent candidate from Faridabad NIT constituency has shown a decrease of Rs. 2.47 crore in total assets.
9. Crorepati Candidates with no PAN: 36 candidates with total assets worth more than Rs 1 crore have not declared PAN details while 50 percent of the candidates analysed (674) have not declared income tax details but this is what tops the list: 108 candidates with assets worth more than Rs 1 crore, have not declared I-T returns.
10. 93 percent of CPI candidates did not declare I-T returns, followed by SP at 91 percent, CPI(M) at 88 percent. 9 (10%) out of 90 candidates from INC, 18 (20%) out of 90 candidates from BJP, 17 (19%) out of 88 candidates from INLD and 21 (32%) out of 65 candidates from Haryana Janhit Congress (BL) have not declared their income tax detais. See the details below:
Updated Date: Oct 09, 2014 15:47:09 IST