The BJP on Tuesday appointed its Maharashtra unit chief Devendra Fadnavis as the next chief minister of the state. After successfully leading his party to its largest-ever victory in the state in the recently concluded Assembly polls, Fadnavis, who is considered to be a confidante of Prime Minister Narendra Modi, emerged as the consensus choice. Having risen quickly within the party ranks, Fadnavis also shares good relations with the RSS - the parent organisation of the BJP.
Here is all you need to know about Maharashtra's first BJP chief minister:
* Devendra Fadnavis, age 44, born to a Brahmin family is married to Amruta Ranade. His father, Gangadharrao Fadnavis, was an active member in the Jana Sangh and groomed him since his early days. Fadnavis joined the RSS Shakha at Trikoni Park, in his childhood. Also during 1986–89, in his early days, he became an active member of ABVP.
* Fadnavis attended the Dharampeth Junior College in 1986–87. Following that, he went to the Nagpur University and completed a 5 year law degree. A post graduate degree in Business Management from D.S.E. University, Berlin and a diploma in Methods and Techniques of Project Management from D.S.E. University, Berlin is also part of his education qualifications. He is also the author of five books.
* In another first, Fadnavis who was the youngest Councillor in Maharashtra will become the first BJP CM of Maharashtra. This is his third consecutive term as legislator. He is perceived to be an honest man with unquestionable integrity.
* Like Rajnath Singh was recommend by RSS, Fadnavis is also chosen by the RSS. He is also known to be a good administrator and shared a great relationship with the late Gopinath Munde. Among other relations, Nitin Gadkari is known to be Fadnavis's one-time mentor.
* Among his immediate rivals, Pankaja Munde comes first with her claim for the post of Chief Minister. Fadnavis's elevation to Chief Minister will also result in him superseding senior BJP leader Eknath Khadse.
*Circumstances helped Fadnavis a lot to rise to the level of being the top contender for the post of CM, with Mahajan passing away and Gadkari moving to the centre, he got a clear road. Hailing from Nagpur and being recommended by RSS also gave him an advantage.
* He allegedly has 22 charges of rioting registered against him.
Updated Date: Oct 29, 2014 19:07 PM