Delhi court to consider defamation plea against Arvind Kejriwal seeking one rupee compensation
A city court on Thursday reserved order on a plea of a BJP youth wing leader seeking one rupee compensation from Delhi chief minister Arvind Kejriwal
New Delhi: A city court on Thursday reserved order on a plea of a BJP youth wing leader seeking one rupee compensation from Delhi chief minister Arvind Kejriwal and AAP spokesperson Sanjay Singh, claiming he was projected as the person who had assaulted former minister Kapil Mishra.
Additional Senior Civil Judge VK Gautam heard the arguments of the counsel for the plaintiff and listed the matter for consideration on the point of issuing notice on the next date of hearing on 26 July.
Ankit Bhardwaj, a state executive member of Bharatiya Janta Yuva Morcha (BJYM), had earlier filed a criminal defamation petition against the AAP leaders for "wrongly taking" his name in the media by describing him as the person who had assaulted Mishra on 10 May.
"That the plaintiff (Bhardwaj) assesses the damages at Rs one crore but has no knowledge of any valuable assets of the defendants (Kejriwal and Singh). So the plaintiff limits his claim to Rs 1," the civil suit filed through advocate Yogesh Swaroop and DD Sharma, appearing for Bhardwaj, said.
The plea said that due to the publication of "false and defamatory" remarks and statements of Kejriwal and Singh, the reputation of Bhardwaj has been tarnished in the minds of party leaders, relatives, friends and public at large, whosoever has seen the news.
The remarks were "deliberately made with a malafide intention" to defame the plaintiff and it was also "re-tweeted by defendant no. 2 (Kejriwal) from his Twitter account," it said.
It further said that the person who attacked Mishra was apprehended at the spot and the incident as well as his arrest has been captured and broadcast in a single sequel.
It also claimed that the person apprehended at the spot has claimed that he was an AAP volunteer.
The chief minister further said that a majority portion of the National Capital is expanded illegally and asked the BJP-led MCD if such a vast area of the city would be demolished under the demolition drive
Distraught relatives of those who have not been found yet thronged the Sanjay Gandhi Hospital on Friday night looking for information about them
The fire incident in a four-story building on Friday evening claimed 27 lives and left many injured, who were admitted to the Sanjay Gandhi Memorial Hospital where a help desk has been set up