Forbes' list of world's highest paid authors of 2017: JK Rowling dethrones James Patterson [Photos]
Harry Potter creator JK Rowling topped the Forbes list of world's highest paid authors this year. James Patterson and Jeff Kinney earned the 2nd and 3rd spot respectively.
1. JK Rowling earned the top spot ($95 million) on the list with her 2016 stage-play script/book, Harry Potter and the Cursed Child, becoming the best-selling book of 2016. The recent films on her book, Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them, has also garnered huge revenues for the celebrated British author. Image via Samir Hussein/ Getty Images.
2. Author James Patterson, who was last year's top-spot holder moved to a close second ($87 million). He is still America's richest author with his works like 'Zoo', 'Instinct' etc being adapted into TV series. Forbes suggests that he is also writing a thriller along with America's former president, Bill Clinton. Image via John Lamparski/Getty Images.
3. Jeff Kinney sits at the third position ($21 million) on the list. His creation, 'Diary Of A Wimpy Kid' has earned him a recent screenwriter's credit in the 2017 film, Diary Of A Wimpy Kid: The Long Haul.' Image via Robin Marchant/Getty Images.
4. American author Dan Brown comes close (#20 million) after Kinney on the list. Although the latest adaptation of his book 'Inferno' couldn't create magic, but he has reportedly earned a fortune in the form of an advance payment for his upcoming book, Origin, as reported by Forbes. Image via Stephane Cardinale - Corbis/Getty Images.
5. Stephen King is known for his nail-biting horror novels. One of them (It) is ready to be released in the form of a motion picture soon. He has earned the fifth spot on the list ($15 million) as his recent novel, End of Watch sold 1.9 million copies. It was the 55th venture of the celebrated author. Image via Gary Miller/Getty Images.
6. Author John Grisham shares the 6th spot($14 million) along with Nora Roberts. His last year's release, The Whistler, was the third best-selling novel of the year. Grisham's 2017 novel, Camino Island has hit the book shelves this year and the number of copies sold is increasing day by day. Image via Taylor Hill/Getty Images.
7. Nora Roberts, like Grisham, too has seen fortune coming in with the release of her latest novel, Come Sundown which was declared numero uno in the best-sellers list by The New York Times. Image via Michael Loccisano/Getty Images for Unbridled Eve
8. Paula Hawkins whose celebrated novel, 'The Girl On The Train' was also made into a successful and critically-acclaimed film starring Emily Blunt. earned her a huge share of revenue. She comes close to her competitors on the list ($13 million). Her latest book Into the Water has already been claimed by the same production studio to be made into a film. Image via Donna Ward/Getty Images.
9. EL James came down the ladder (list) with no book releases lately. Her book's film adaptation - 'Fifty Shades Darker' didn't fare too well at the box-office and brought her down to 9th position ($11.5 million) on the list. Image via Fred Duval/Getty Images/ FilmMagic.
10. Veteran novelist Danielle Steel earned the 10th spot along with Rick Riordan ($11 million). Her latest book, The Duchess was also on the New York Times' bestsellers list. She had back-to-back six releases in 2016 to her credit. Image via Stefanie Keenan/Getty Images.