Canada police thwart suicide bomb attack, kill suspect in Ontario [Photos]
Canada's national police force thwarted what they believed was a suicide bomb plot, a senior police official said.
Police confer outside of a house in Strathroy, Ontario on Wednesday. A Canadian man previously banned from associating with Islamic State extremists has been killed as Canada's national police force thwarted what they believed was a suicide bomb plot, a senior police official said. The suspect allegedly planned to use a bomb to carry out a suicide bombing in a public area, the official said. AP
The official, who spoke on condition of anonymity because he was not authorised to speak ahead of a Thursday news conference, identified the suspect as Aaron Driver, a man in his mid-20s originally from Winnipeg, Manitoba. Driver had been under the spotlight for at least a year, as authorities believed he was a threat because he could help terror groups. AP
The police operation involving Driver took place Wednesday night in the southern Ontario town of Strathroy, 225 kilometers southwest of Toronto. Details of how Driver died have not been released. The Royal Canadian Mounted Police said it halted a possible attack after receiving credible information of a potential terrorist threat. They said a suspect was identified and the "proper course of action has been taken" to ensure no danger to public safety. AP
Driver was under a court order from earlier this year to not associate with any terrorist organization, including the Islamic State group. In February, Driver's lawyer and the prosecutor agreed to a peace bond stating there are "reasonable grounds to fear that he may participate, contribute directly or indirectly in the activity of a terrorist group." Winnipeg-based lawyer Leonard Tailleur, who handled Driver's peace bond, said he was "shocked" to hear what had happened. "Saddened to hear that it had to end this way for him," Tailleur said in an email to The Canadian Press. AP
Canadian Public Safety Minister Ralph Goodale said he had spoken to Prime Minister Justin Trudeau about the police operation Wednesday night "to confirm that public safety has been and continues to be properly protected." He said the RCMP, the Canadian Security Intelligence Service and other police and security agencies were involved in the operation. He also said the national terrorism threat level for Canada remains at "medium," where it has stood since the fall of 2014. AP