associate sponsors

Havells
HDFC

Maharashtra SSC results: Success rate dips for the first time in five years

As Monday marked the declaration of SSC results, Maharashtra state witnessed a 1.3 percent dip in the success rate of class X students. From recording the best SSC performance in the year 2015, the performance rate has fallen for the first time in five years. An overall success rate of 86.4 percent was recorded, one percent down from 87.7 percent recorded last year in the SSC examinations, reports The Times Of India.

Representational image. Firstpost

Representational image. Firstpost

The Mumbai division in particular — comprising Mumbai, Thane, Raigad and Palghar, noted a dip in the class Xth success rate to 85.7 from the recorded 86.1 last year.

In terms of pass percentage, out of a total of nine divisions, the Konkan division took the lead with 96.56 percent, Kolhapur followed at 92.89 per cent and Mumbai ranked fourth, as reported by Mumbai Mirror. The report further says that girls, once again, fared better, with a pass percentage of 89.48 percent, 5.56 percent more than their fellow male peers.

While the number of students scoring in the nineties rose across the state, in the Mumbai division, it dipped from 12,100 to 11,416 this year, reported by Hindustan Times.

As the high-scorers club gets bigger across boards, and the competition gets tougher, the Mumbai divisional board has decided to look at why certain schools recorded a poor pass percentage.

Dattatreya Jagtap, Chairman, Mumbai Divisional Board, said that the drop in the percentage was because students were not prepared for an external examination of their science practicals,reports The Indian Express. However, school principals do not agree. “The poor pass percentage has nothing to do with practicals. It’s because some students do not take exams seriously owing to the no-detention policy,” said Jean Gomes, principal of Michael High School, Kurla. “The board should be stricter about promoting students till Class IX.”

According to Mumbai Mirror, state school principals have expressed the opinion that state board students will be in for tough competition due to high scores of the other boards.


Updated Date: Jun 07, 2016 14:10 PM

Also Watch

Firstpost in Russia: Moscow to St. Petersburg, on a free World Cup train
  • Monday, July 2, 2018 Social Media Star: Richa Chadha, Kunal Kamra talk about their political views, and why they speak their mind
  • Tuesday, June 26, 2018 It's A Wrap: Swara Bhasker talks about Veere Di Wedding and Twitter trolls, in conversation with Parul Sharma
  • Tuesday, June 19, 2018 Rahul Gandhi turns 48: Congress chief, who once said 'power is poison', should focus on party rather than on 'hate Modi' mission
  • Monday, June 4, 2018 It's A Wrap: Bhavesh Joshi Superhero makers Anurag Kashyap, Vikramaditya Motwane in conversation with Parul Sharma

Also See