Mumbai gangrape: Trial against four accused begins
Arguing before principal judge of the sessions court Shalini Phansalkar-Joshi, Nikam described the crime as 'horrible, gruesome, merciless sexual assault on two young girls'.
Mumbai: The prosecution in the 22 August photojournalist gangrape case today opened its case against the four accused.
Special Public Prosecutor Ujjwal Nikam read out the charges for which the prosecution wants the accused — Vijay Jadhav, Kasim Bengali, Salim Ansari and Siraj Rehman - to be tried.
Arguing before principal judge of the sessions court Shalini Phansalkar-Joshi, Nikam described the crime as "horrible, gruesome, merciless sexual assault on two young girls".
He was referring to the gangrape of the photojournalist, as well as earlier gangrape of a telephone-operator in the same premises. Three of the accused were involved in both the cases.
"Mumbai city was aghast with the incidents," said Nikam.
The prosecution proposes to charge four accused, arrested in connection with the August 22 case, on 12 counts, he said.
Other than vaginal sex and unnatural offence, three of the accused -- Jadhav, Siraj, Ansari -- also subjected the victim photojournalist to oral sex, as per the prosecution.
In the draft charges, the accused have been charged with criminal conspiracy, gangrape with criminal conspiracy, gangrape with common intention, unnatural offences.
Ansari is additionally charged with showing pornographic video to the victim.
They have been also accused of wrongfully restraining the victim and her male friend and destruction of evidence.
The court is likely to frame the charges tomorrow.
Nikam said the prosecution was likely to file draft charges in the telephone operator's case by Monday, and trials of both cases would be conducted simultaneously.
The crime branch on September 19 filed a 600 pages charge sheet against four accused in the photojournalist gangrape case.
The victim was gangraped by the five accused (one of them a juvenile, whose trial will be held separately) at the deserted Shakti Mills compound here where she had gone with a male colleague on an assignment.
Following this, it came to light that an 18-year-old telephone operator had been gangraped in the same premises on 31 July by five men, three of whom are accused in the 22 August case.
‘We should judge systems like the police in how they respond to people with the least, not the most’: Sonia Faleiro
The culmination of four years of exhaustive research on the Budaun teenagers’ deaths, Faleiro's new book, The Good Girls, paints a distressing picture of gendered inequalities in modern India.
In a weekend interview on live television, Oxford-educated Khan said an increase in rapes indicated the "consequences in any society where vulgarity is on the rise"