Bandra fire: KFC is not gutted but shut after flames engulfed nearby store

(Note: The earlier version of this article mentioned that the fire had broken out at the KFC outlet in Bandra. The error has now been rectified to reflect that the mishap occurred in a shop near KFC.)

Even as heavy rains lashed Mumbai on Tuesday, a shopping complex in Bandra West caught fire. The building on Linking Road , which houses a number of shops, adjoining the KFC outlet, was engulfed in smoke.

 Bandra fire: KFC is not gutted but shut after flames engulfed nearby store

Fire at the KFC Building, Bandra. Image Credit: Twitetr

The fire reportedly began in a shoe shop in the building and the presence of plastic and leather items caused the fire to spread rapidly, NDTV report said.

According to reports, seven to eight fire tenders were deployed to put out the blaze. Sources were quoted as saying that the situation was under control. However, traffic piled up around the area soon after the fire broke out.

According to a Rediff.com report, a short circuit caused the fire.

Meanwhile, an official statement from the KFC spokesperson said, " We have shut the store until further notice to ensure everyone’s safety.”

Reliance Energy tweeted that the fire has caused the power to be cut off in the area.

Here  are several photographs of the fire which were uploaded by users on Twitter.

Find latest and upcoming tech gadgets online on Tech2 Gadgets. Get technology news, gadgets reviews & ratings. Popular gadgets including laptop, tablet and mobile specifications, features, prices, comparison.

Updated Date: Jul 22, 2015 15:48:12 IST