1993 Mumbai serial blasts - a failed terror operation?

Despite the fact that the blasts claimed over 250 lives, was it finally a failed terror strike?

FP Staff March 30, 2013 15:53:07 IST
1993 Mumbai serial blasts - a failed terror operation?

Twenty years after the 1993 serial blasts in Mumbai, the first of many terrorist strikes that would target Mumbai, the only topic that continues to be debated is the degree of Sanjay Dutt's guilt and whether he should be pardoned. Foot soldiers and relatives of the masterminds have been sentenced to jail terms, some stretching to the duration of their lifetimes. But despite claiming over 250 lives and injuring over 700, was it finally a failure for the perpetrators?

The biggest operation of the time by the Pakistan's Inter Services Intelligence failed simply because it failed to ignite a new wave of communal riots in which the death toll might have been much higher thanks to the weapons and explosives that had been distributed prior to the serial blasts, writes Shekhar Gupta in the Indian Express today

1993 Mumbai serial blasts  a failed terror operation

Were the 1993 blasts to be a prelude to a national wave of communal riots? AFP

The killing of Hindu labourers in the communally sensitive south Mumbai area of Dongri in the days leading to the blasts, the planned attack on the city's civic body where right-wing party Shiv Sena dominated and the distribution of arms and explosives among foot-soldiers still seething over the recent riots were all steps taken to take the horrific riots following the Babri Masjid demolition well beyond the borders of the city, he says.

According to Gupta, the scale of the plan was so large that the ISI was even willing to sacrifice its biggest asset in India, gangster Dawood Ibrahim:

Not only was it the ISI's first major operation in mainland India, it was also the most audacious to date. Much more ambitious than even 26/11. So ambitious and so audacious, in fact, that they risked their most important asset in India, Dawood Ibrahim, and his underworld army. They would have known that irrespective of how this ended, they would have to evacuate the whole lot, and find them safe harbour in their own country.

Ibrahim however, protested his innocence after the blasts and claimed he would present himself before an inquiry commission to prove his innocence. The inquiry commission was never formed and Ibrahim never surrendered, though Gupta describes an amusing encounter with the 'bhai' in Dubai.

Ensconced in an office in Dubai, though he officially wasn't there, Ibrahim who had called Gupta for an interview develops cold feet due to strict instructions to maintain silence and refuses to give in to demands to say anything, even issuing a veiled threat. Who says gangsters don't follow government protocol?

Read the complete Indian Express article here

Updated Date:

Find latest and upcoming tech gadgets online on Tech2 Gadgets. Get technology news, gadgets reviews & ratings. Popular gadgets including laptop, tablet and mobile specifications, features, prices, comparison.

also read

Sanjay Dutt gets second parole extension, to return to jail on 21 March
Entertainment

Sanjay Dutt gets second parole extension, to return to jail on 21 March

Sanjay Dutt gets second parole extension in a row. The actor who was suppose to return to jail on 19 February will now return on 21 March. Dutt had sought another extension on the grounds of his wife's ailment.

Salman Khan tweets in support of Yakub Memon, father Salim calls him 'ignorant'
India

Salman Khan tweets in support of Yakub Memon, father Salim calls him 'ignorant'

Bollywood actor Salman Khan on Sunday tweeted out in support of 1993 Mumbai serial blasts convict Yakub Memon saying his brother Tiger should be hanged instead.

SC to decide on granting Dutt, three others time to surrender
India

SC to decide on granting Dutt, three others time to surrender

The apex court will decide on a petition filed by Dutt and three others seeking time to surrender to serve their prison terms.