Bharatiya Janata Party Manifesto 2019 for Lok Sabha election
Bharatiya Janata Party
With origin in the Bharatiya Jana Sangh, the 39-year-old Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) is India's largest political party in terms of representation in the Lok Sabha. In the 2014 general elections, BJP won 282 seats, forming government along with its allies in the National Democratic Alliance (NDA) for the next 5 years. The party, which boasts of having the largest political workforce in the world in terms of primary membership, is currently headed by Amit Shah as president.
Misc / general
- To explore all possibilities within the framework of the Constitution and all necessary efforts to facilitate the expeditious construction of the Ram Temple in Ayodhya.
- Committed to the idea of simultaneous elections for Parliament, State assemblies and local bodies to reduce expenditure, ensure effcient utilisation of government resources and security forces and for effective policy planning.
- Committed to the enactment of the Citizenship Amendment Bill for the protection of individuals of religious minority communities from neighbouring countries escaping persecution.
- In the next five years, to ensure that 50 cities are covered with a strong metro network, and to construct 60,000 kms of National Highways.
- To take necessary steps to increase the number of seats in Central Law, Engineering, Science and Management institutions by at least 50% in the next five years.
- To continue with the simplification of GST process by engaging in dialogue with all stakeholders; when compared to base year of 2015-16, GST revenue for all states have increased by 50 percent in 3 years.
- To set up a Commttee for Easing Citizens` Interactions with Government (CECIG) to work with experts in reforming citizen`s interface with Government across domains such as taxes and business compliance.
- To launch a new scheme to provide collateral-free credit up to Rs 50 lakh for entrepreneurs to encourage the spirit of entrepreneurship amongst the youth; will guarantee 50% of the loan amount for female entrepreneurs and 25% for male entrepreneurs
- To promote and encourage startups through creation of a `Seed Startup Fund` of Rs 20,000 crore.
- To create new opportunities of employment by providing more support to the 22 major `Champion Sectors` identified as the main drivers of Indian economy.
- To increase benefiaries of the Pradhan Mantri Mudra Yojana from the current 17 crore entrepreneurs up to 30 crore.
- By 2024, to make capital investment of Rs.100 lakh crore in the infrastructure sector; to announce a new industrial policy to improve competitiveness of manufacturing and services
- To extensively leverage forums such as BIMSTEC, to accelerate regional coordination and economic co-operation with countries in our neighbourhood.
- To establish a National Traders` Welfare Board and create a national policy for Retail Trade for the growth of retail business.
- To aspire to make India the third largest economy of the world by 2030. This implies a commitment to make India a $5 trillion economy by 2025 and $10 trillion economy by 2032
- To speed up the purchases of outstanding defense related equipments and weapons.
- To take forward the process of modernising the Central Armed Police Forces to further increase their capacity and readiness, and enable them to effectively combat internal security challenges.
- To focus on creation of developmental and other necessary infrastructure in border areas to ensure that border security is strengthened.
- To create a more effective framework for the resetlement of our armed forces veterans, where the armed forces will start planning for the resetlement of soldiers three years before their retirement.
Agriculture and Farm Labour
- To launch a pension scheme for all small and marginal farmers in the country so as to ensure social security to them on reaching 60 years of age.
- To make an investment of Rs. 25 lakh crore to improve the productivity of the farm sector.
- To provide short-term new agriculture loans up to Rs 1 lakh at a 0 percent interest rate for 1-5 years on the condition of prompt repayment of the principal amount.
- To work towards reducing all agricultural imports and institute a predictable export and import policy with a built-in mechanism for encouraging exports and discouraging imports.
- To promote chemical-free organic farming in an additional 20 lakh hectare of hilly, tribal and rainfed areas in the next 5 years.
- Every Gram Panchayat to be connected with high speed optical fibre network by 2022. Through village level high speed broadband services, services such as telemedicine and tele-education to be provided.
- To set up one medical college or postgraduate medical college in every district, through public or private participation, by 2024. To start with, 75 such medical institutes will be set up by 2022.
- To make the National Nutrition Mission a mass movement and strengthen infrastructure and capacity in all Anganwadis.
- To continue to implement the Rashtriya Gram Swaraj Abhiyan in a focussed manner to build the capacity of members of Panchayati Raj institutions.
- BJP is committed to 33 percent reservation in parliament and state assemblies through a constitutional amendment.
- To formulate a comprehensive `Women in Workforce` roadmap focussed on dramatically increasing the female workforce participation rate over the next five years
- In order to generate better work opportunities for women, 10 percent material to be sourced for government procurement will be done from MSMEs having at least 50 percent women employees in their workforce
- To legislate a bill to prohibit and eliminate practices such as Triple Talaq and Nikah Halala.
- BJP believes that there cannot be gender equality till such time India adopts a Uniform Civil Code, which protects the rights of all women, and the BJP reiterates its stand to draw a Uniform Civil Code
Science and Tech
- To launch a new Science Mission for development of cutting edge technologies with two submissions, focused on (a) artificial intelligence mission and (b) robotic research mission
- To launch a Language Translation Mission that will enable ready translation of English text in Science & Technology and humanities in any of our languages.
- To start the `National Program for Rapid Research in Socially Contextual Technologies` to create research paths in desirable technologies and to manage financing of such projects along with the private sector
- To initiate a genome mission for human health that will bring the latest diagnosis and treatment to our entire population through frugal innovation
Election Promises Tracker
This tracker is an interactive progress report of the promises made by the NDA before it came to power in 2014. It was built as a collaborative effort by citizens' groups across the country.